Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to make a packing tape arm coming out of a TV for our party this year, kinda like this:
Wood

The TV is in a build in cabinet, so I can easily attach a fishing line to it and put some kind of mechanism above the TV to make the arm move. Any suggestions on an inexpensive way to get the arm to move? All my props have been static to this point. Not much, just slight movement is fine. Have an outlet in the cabinet to plug in if electricity is needed. I'm sure there is a really simple way to do this but I can't think of it.
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm totally spit balling this, but perhaps you could line your packing tape arm with muscle wire (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11900). That would allow you to make it flex when you apply current to the wire. The thick stuff is only 0.012" in diameter, so I think that it will be pretty invisible. You'd just have to worry about the regular wire necessary to complete the circuit. The pull strength is ~2 lbs which should be plenty for this application.

I'm thinking you could actually embed the wires in the packing tape as you make the arm, putting one or more top of the arm, and then likewise one or more bottom of the arm. Alternate when you turn on the top and bottom wires so that they can oppose each other just like the way real arm muscles work to move your arm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow is that muscle wire cool! And pretty cheap. Any one used it? The video says that it gets pretty hot so that does worry my, I think the packing tape could melt really easily.
But if you could curl up the finger doing a "come this way" motion that would be AWESOME!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, but in the same video he talks about using it in a paper folding application, so I don't think it gets *that* hot. I have some, but I haven't actually used it yet. I could try it out and get back to you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.