Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering this idea for my haunted house. how could i make this work? the horn can only take 12 volts right? I was thinking of just wiring it to a motion light and BAM it would come on. Any other ideas out there for how i can make this work. I wouldn't mind a real quick honk maybe like 4 seconds or less. I searched on here but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That should be very easy to do, just a PIR with a Normally open contact, and a power supply. The PIR can be battery powered, or run of the power supply as well, assuming it's 12v. Then you just connect one wire from the power supply directly to the horn, then one to the PIR contact, then to the horn as well. Most PIR's will give a short pulse though, so you may find it a very quick blast. A way round this would be to use a delay relay. I guess it depends on the PIR you use.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Hmmm.... interesting.

We had an old siren we put in a 1943 Willys jeep that we restored, but later removed it. It ran on a 12v power supply.

I would probably opt for a cheap haunt timer for flexibility. (for instance)
FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories

I use rigged PIR sensors to trigger basic things that just need a "blast," like a trashcan prop or floodlight. It would probably work for a horn, but it may be too short. Maybe short is good?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been pondering this idea for my haunted house. how could i make this work? the horn can only take 12 volts right? I was thinking of just wiring it to a motion light and BAM it would come on. Any other ideas out there for how i can make this work. I wouldn't mind a real quick honk maybe like 4 seconds or less. I searched on here but found nothing. Thanks in advance.
It depends on what you want to spend. I did it one year using an air horn from a truck, a solenoid, and a maestro controller. The horn was free, the solenoid was about $50, and the controller was $85 I think. If you use a Maestro 2 you can add lights and have them come on together for a more startling effect. Below are a couple of links to places that sell them, one even sells it with a motion sensor. They also may be able to answer your questions more in depth.

Controllers
Animation Maestro I Prop Controller | Prop Controllers | Grimm Brothers Halloween Specialty Store |

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I like the idea, I have an old oooga horn. On the down side, you might want to check with the neighbors first and the police second. I wouldn't want to tick the first on off or get a ticket from the second for being in a noise zone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts