Halloween Forum banner

How to make a Large Cauldron.

792K views 155 replies 66 participants last post by  csaitz90 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So here is a project inspired (copied from) by SKAustin.

It is essentially a large rope handled bin with the rope removed. I then needed to make a bunch of ribs to create the cauldron shape. Taking the time to make a great template was key!

Product Cylinder Plastic

I then acquired some heavy duty / thick cardboard and cut it to length, stacked it 4 deep, clamped it down and cut it with a jig saw. The saw had a fine blade on it and worked great. I tried to cut them by hand with scissors, however that was to tedious and compromised the structural integrity of the cardboard (creasing , bending it, etc)

Electronics Technology

I then measured the circumference of the bin and it was about 60"....so I spaced the ribs out at 2" and began gluing them in place. I was surprised how sturdy it is beginning to feel!

Auto part Small appliance

30 ribs later and about 1/2 a bag of glue sticks and it is really starting to take form....

Child Toddler Play

See less See more
#14 ·
Hindsight - I had about 12 ribs cut that I did not use. If I was to do it again, I would have spaced them a bit closer; just for better support and rigidity. Maybe 1.5" or even 1". Once you have a good template, cutting ribs is a snap. I did have some ribs that were of a second quality, but I just shot more hot glue in as if it were caulk and it seemed to work well.

#15 ·
Looks really great so far, Old Man Bakke! I don't know how well paper mache sticks to duct tape, but I think it would work.

I've also used the stuff called "Rigid Wrap" in the past, and it seems to stick to anything. I used to use it to make copies of skulls by covering the skull in foil before putting on the Rigid Wrap.

http://www.sciplus.com/p/RIGID-WRAP_3361

#16 ·
I began the same exact project before Halloween but tried using plastic scraps from kayaks....
well... just stick with cardboard!
The ribs were extremely sturdy but too heavy for the glue to hold them in real well... it held... but not good enough for the eventual beatings props take as they make their way down the stairs!

You reminded me though that this project was on my "Winter To-do List!"
Looking forward to the finishing touches.

#17 ·
I used paper mache on mine but it didnt handle well while moving. Ended up recovering it with those plaster cast strips you can buy at the craft store. Made it super hard and very durable!

#18 ·
This is looking great and you have enough duct tape on there for it to be quite strong. I have done 2 projects using paper mache one using the 50/50 water and white glue and the other using wallpaper paste and neither of them had a problem sticking to the duct tape but I did find using tissue paper for the first coat of mache better as the next coats with the newspaper stuck really great. Plus using the first coat of tissue you can use larger pieces just to get the tape covered before you go to the smaller newspaper mache for the strength. Thanks for the tutorial by the way as I have been racking my brains on how to come up with a large fairly inexpensive cauldron. Oh if you do want more strength to it just wrap what you have done with chicken wire then do your paper mache and you got it made!

#19 ·
Ha scratch that I remember what i did! Cut holes in the bottom in between each rib and spray great stuff foam in. Then cover the outside with strips of the plaster strips.

#20 ·
So here is a project inspired (copied from) by SKAustin.

It is essentially a large rope handled bin with the rope removed. I then needed to make a bunch of ribs to create the cauldron shape. Taking the time to make a great template was key!
Good job!

That looks like the one I did in 2004.
It's tough. still looks good after 9 years.

http://www.bastardrat.com/2004cauldron.html

#26 ·
and 5, or 6, or could it have been 7 coats of paper mache later..... Had no issues with it adhering to the duct tape. I did use a slightly different method though. I did not put the paper in the glue mix, but rather smeared the glue water mix on the duct tape and then put the dry paper on the moist surface. Then smoothed it out with a wet hand from the mixture....just like Dan the Monster Man does it.

Attachments

#27 ·
Hate me now! 26 years ago I got my cauldron for nothing , an antique, large thing about 36 inches across by over 24 inches tall. I got it for nothing because the very bottom was all cracked and broken, which nobody sees. I used to hide some speakers in it. The speaker wires went right through those large cracks.
Your cauldron building project looks like a winner to me, Very Nice!
One time in the dead of winter I decided to see if I could make a human -sized Knight's armor suit. I just used poster board and masking tape and a few 1/4" dowel rods to internally support some parts. I covered some edges with a rubbery pastey stuff maybe acrilic "oil" paint filler or something?
I succeed in fooling most people when they saw it, in fact it still looks good after all of these years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.