Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this monster face for over my garages, but my daughter says it’s not noticeable enough (she's right!), particularly at night. I’m thinking about putting spot lights in the ground on either side (perhaps green?) but wondering if that’ll work since it’s pretty high up. Maybe I could somehow attach them to the sidelights on either side of the garage doors. Thoughts/suggestions?
Property Building Window Fixture Wood

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wonder if you could get some UV reactive paint to add highlights to the teeth and eyes and then flood it with a blacklight from the front.

Those shades look translucent and might pick up the moving light from a Fire & Ice light placed in the room and shining on the shades from behind.

·
Registered
14,576 Posts
Are you lighting up those eye panels from inside the house? If not I would do that to back light, assuming the eyes aren’t on opaque material. I’d move the teeth from the bottom of the bay window box to the garage door frame top instead and add Red spot lights to your floodlights above that area. If you feel there’s too much space between the eyes and the teeth, maybe adding a set of nostrils to the middle framed section of the bay window box below the eyes would help the overall look.

We have windows with similar panes as yours (located between glass layers). Normally looks great but hate them during halloween. If the eyes can be put on the glass on the outside as suggested I think it would look better. I’d also raise up the shades in those two windows and fill the space with a translucent white material like a shower curtain to have a more solid lit appearance than horizontal blinds or pleated shades.

Can your motion sensor flood lights be modified to always be on so they’re not always being triggered?

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you can adjust the angle on the floods and have them always on, I would add some red lighting gels to the face of each one and point them up so they create a wash of red light under the teeth. I would also raise the eyes a little bit so they aren't as close to the bottom of the window, and backlight them with yellow. I'm not sure how much you want to spend but you could get something like this and play with the color that looks best:

I tried to mock this up on my tablet, can't say it is a great job but let us know what you try and what works! I just stuck 2 JoL in my window over the garage, much less ambitious than this.
Building Fixture Font Window Material property

·
Registered
86 Posts
And here to play devil's advocate for leaving things basically the same... Folks often assume that props have to be glaringly obvious. There is something to be said for the prop that is "suddenly discovered" where it wasn't seen before. I would certainly give it a bit of light from the window, make sure the garage area is at least modestly lit, raise the eyes a bit off the sill, but otherwise, I would leave it sort of subdued so that people don't see it right away. It just amps up the shock value, especially with groups of trick or treaters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts