Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a pretty big noticeable entrance in our front yard for our haunted halls. Last year we had it up all month long. We mostly set it up for the party we had on the 22nd, but we kept it up for halloween night (it was our 1st year going so big). The big night came and we wanted to take the kids trick or treating. I left candy out in a bowl for the TOTs . We got a few houses away and looked back to see cars driving up and people walking up to our house. My husband decided to run back and manage things while I went to some more houses with the kids. My husband let people go through our little haunt and let people try the paintball stuff, people loved it. But he missed seeing our kids trick or treating.

We want a tiny bit of time as a family that night (the kids dont really like walking around for all that long) but we also want to enjoy other coming to see & have fun at our house.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make this work? I would think that some of you have tried to balance the two things. Thanks for any feed back you can give me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When my daughter went trick or treating... hubby & I switched off who would take her out ToT and who held the fort down at home. We alternated every year and that worked out great for us. Now daughter is older she helps us with our haunt instead. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the same problem. I have 3 kids. 6 yr old twins an a 2 year old. My haunt has gotten fairly big as last year we had around 800 ToTs. Since the haunt has gotten much more complex I always seem to be spending most of the time keeping an eye on everything. The past two years I was able to take the kids out around the block for a bit. Biggest thing for me was having a lot of friends and family over help watch everything while I went out with the kids. I wouldn't be able to do it any other way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking turns is the most normal way to handle it. And thats how we might have to end up doing things, but the reason we would like to do it together is because of how often he missed these holidays in the past due to deployments and tranning. Just kind of greedy, we want to be able to do it all.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
We have family help us out. Someone will watch the door for awhile while I take my son to a few houses. Then he goes with his little friend and their dad and I go back to our house to hand out candy. My hubby is in costume int the yard the entire time. "T" is only 3, but he's already talking about staying around the house to scare people. :D Mama is so proud......lol

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
My wife and I forgot to sign up for the breeding program so we have no hairless children. That said, if I would like to take my cats and dog ToT'ing I'd probably have my mother come to the house and manage the door. Or an aunt. Or....... a neighbor. Maybe I'd put an add on Craigslist.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant wait until my kids want to be apart of the haunt. The idea to have a family member come over might be doable. I would hope. Otherwise I was thinking of posting a sign saying like "haunt open at such and such time" a few days in advace. but Im not sure how that will go.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I heard the magic words this year, my youngest son said to me. I am just gonna TOT around the block then I want to come home and help you hand out candy. Whoop whoop!

·
Registered
569 Posts
for the past 9 years it has all worked out so great it is also my mil b day so dh 's fly comes over and in laws pass out candy and our fly and bros and sises and their little ones go toting. the house is decorated and the only thing on are things that can manage themselves- fog machines, projector and all lights on. not only do i love to hear from the inlaws about what everyone says about the house when they stop for candy, but we get to hear comments as well when we are toting down the street.

then we all go back to the house to eat seafood gumbo prepared in advance and being heated in a soup chafing pot...a must have!

we get back about 20 minutes b4 the end and still manage to hand out candy to a couple of kids.

it really is a perfect night. the key is to make it self manageable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since I'm managing the haunt with help, DW takes the kids out with a group of neighbor kids and parents. The youngest doesn't have that much stamina, so DW comes back with her. The oldest hangs on with the group and the other parents make sure she's safe.

·
PureFright.com
1,058 Posts
There is only one house in our town that really goes all out for Halloween. They put up a sign that says they open at 7 pm. TOTs usually start closer to 6. People plan their path to end up at his house and he is always packed every year. Perhaps you could do the same with a sign that goes up the week before. That would give you the time to go as a family and then come back and give out candy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for pitching in. They all sound like good ideas. I just took time off from checking in on the forum cause we were getting ready for the party we just had. Now I can relax.

There is only one house in our town that really goes all out for Halloween. They put up a sign that says they open at 7 pm. TOTs usually start closer to 6. People plan their path to end up at his house and he is always packed every year. Perhaps you could do the same with a sign that goes up the week before. That would give you the time to go as a family and then come back and give out candy.
I was thinking of something like that. Hearing that someone else does that helps me feel like Im not crazy for thinking that way.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Similar predicament.. my youngest is 7, then 9, 11 and 14. My oldest may go out with some girlfriends (she's a girl), but the 3 youngest still like to go. My wife has no clue how to man the display though.. if something were to go wrong with the fog machine, or a light goes out.. she wouldn't know what to do. So I always stay behind and manage.. but I also dress up and play the part. It's never been an issue for us.. my kids know I do the haunt and they love hearing from their friends how cool their house was the next day. Made me smile that some new neighbors already heard from kids about our house. :)

If I were to go..I think I'd go early.. around 4:30 or something for 1/2 hour or so with them, then my wife can take them around our area.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I don't get the need for both parents to take the kids trick or treating. One of us would take the kids, the other would hand out candy. I guess I was confident that my kids looked cute to begin with and didn't need that affirmation from somebody else while they were dropping a piece of candy in my kid's plastic pumpkin.

We were talking about Halloween at work the other day and a coworker said they don't worry about handing out candy on Halloween, because their whole family goes ToTing together and nobody will be home to hand it out. In my book, that's a violation of the Scatterbrain's Halloween code of Ethics.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
My wife used to take the kids out while I stayed home in the yard. Now the kids are old enough to go TOTing by themselves or with a friend's parent.

I always run a small security camera just to tape everything going on in the yard and to enjoy watching later. So, if one of us missed anything we could always see it on tape.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't get the need for both parents to take the kids trick or treating. One of us would take the kids, the other would hand out candy. I guess I was confident that my kids looked cute to begin with and didn't need that affirmation from somebody else while they were dropping a piece of candy in my kid's plastic pumpkin.

We were talking about Halloween at work the other day and a coworker said they don't worry about handing out candy on Halloween, because their whole family goes ToTing together and nobody will be home to hand it out. In my book, that's a violation of the Scatterbrain's Halloween code of Ethics.
I get what you're saying, but this is one of the 1st Halloweens since the kids were born that my husband has not been deployed or TDY. So we kind of want to spend that time together and watch the kids have fun. By next year I dont think it will matter as much to all go together. He just got out of the military so life is getting a bit more settled for us.

Also, I think that if you're going to be taking part in ToTing you should at least leave candy out with a sign and hope that kids dont take too much, if they do, at least you tried. Its so disappointing when a ton of houses dont hand out candy at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts