Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new part of the yard to haunt this year. Previous years this was all huge bushes, we finally removed them this year, built the trellis and replanted shrubs and flowers. I'd like to put a cementery over here with a skeleton horse/rider in the middle, but I do not want to take a chance of killing anything, everything is about tripled in size now. I'd love to use the trellis and mount a mausoleum to it, but the roses are now almost to the top and will need light. It would be very hard to make the area spooky with that huge white 'cottagey' looking trellis that pulls your eye to it. Anyone have any suggestions that will not kill a small fortune in plants?

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why not have a couple skellies climbing the trellis. They are light and probably won't bother the roses.
Maybe hang some lightweight ghosts made of styro heads and torn sheets from the top section. I agree lighting will be dramatic. Maybe even drape the shrubs each night with something light and gauzy and hide flickering lights behind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I Would probably get some cheap rising Zombie stakes and put in there where it would not hurt the poor flowers then maybe a few Lawn Tombstones and maybe some small creepy lights to go around it to!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the help with this! The lighting ideas sound wonderful. This side of the house is a focal point, we are on a corner lot and it has well used road beside it .. So lots of traffic will see this area. I was thinking big in scale, that looks good /convincing during daylight hours. . I built a simple, quick mausoleum front to project into last year. I was thinking about moving it around here and expanding on it .. covering up the side of the house to build on the graveyard scene. I'm trying to figure out a way to incorperate the garden into a large, kind of elaborate graveyard scene, with a skeletal headless horseman rider going through it, probably putting up a mock fence in front. I normally put up my stuff around the first week of Oct, so it will be up a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
This year, I will affix a few of those Dollar Tree skellie birds to an Aldi birdbath filled with red liquid and put it in the center of my flower garden. One year, I had one skellie leaning on an old rusty shovel while another "pushed" an old wheel barrow with a skull-faced dummy lying in it.

That trellis is just crying out for some hanging figures!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I'm doing the same thing this year. I spent the better part of the summer removing some massive holly bushes and creating a new planting bed along the front of my house and this area will be my main display area. I'm going to build an arch to go in the center and get some artificial vines to climb on it. I plan to spray paint the vines to look like dying or dead plants, which I'll also do in a few planters since everything right now looks new and freshly planted. I want a withered over-grown look to the garden. I may make the eyeball plants and maybe a potted mandrake (thank you, Hilda!) as well. A couple of my pose n stay skeletons will be made to look like back from the dead gardeners and I picked up a large garden gnome on clearance and painted him into a zombie gnome. It's an easy, fun theme and I am having a good time with it! :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm doing the same thing this year. I spent the better part of the summer removing some massive holly bushes and creating a new planting bed along the front of my house and this area will be my main display area. I'm going to build an arch to go in the center and get some artificial vines to climb on it. I plan to spray paint the vines to look like dying or dead plants, which I'll also do in a few planters since everything right now looks new and freshly planted. I want a withered over-grown look to the garden. I may make the eyeball plants and maybe a potted mandrake (thank you, Hilda!) as well. A couple of my pose n stay skeletons will be made to look like back from the dead gardeners and I picked up a large garden gnome on clearance and painted him into a zombie gnome. It's an easy, fun theme and I am having a good time with it! :)
Madame Leota, sounds like a great plan, I hope you share pics!
We removed two massive boxwoods fairly easy .. Also a huge heavenly bamboo, which I have a feeling I'll be fighting for the rest of eternity ;)

Before:
they were all probably planted when the house was built. This was my last overgrown bed to redo and I gained more Halloween realeaste :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You have a picture of an apparition. What if that is in the window, becoming the centerpiece. That would draw your eye away from the trellis. You could really use it to frame that window up. Wow! You have some great bones to work with there. Does it get a lot of wind?

I could see skeleton sentinels an each side of the window, in front of the trellis' (which I LOVE btw).

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
You could just drape creepy cloth over the white pergola part. It would help hide it, without putting the roses into shade (I think!)

I have always had a skeleton crawling out of any bushes that are in our scene. I don't know if you have any that are only torsos, that would make it easier to do that. The ones with legs are sometimes too big, unless you want them to be out further.

I really like this idea below, although the creatures themselves, I would need something different. I do like these, but they don't quite fit in with my other things.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/08/c9/fb/08c9fb06d6a83fb120192b04f0457773.jpg

and the pin that I got it from: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261068109627886133/

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

I like the idea of moving your mausoleum facade in front of the rose arbor, if you could make it fit. If you set it somewhat decently in front of the rose bushes, it will conceal them without blocking light and then also give depth to the back of your house wall for the projection.

You could add a skelly or old caretaker prop pushing a wheelbarrow full of leaves & bones, and add some some headstones all around so it's an extension of your cemetery.

You could also use your beef netting spider webs in front of the trellis and anchor them diagonally in front of the bed so that they aren't touching the bushes. Then have some spiders climbing up it and along your house walls.

Also, if you wanted to go a little different - this is a great effect by Pumpkinrot -

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347963660670/

You could hammer some rebar into the ground (check your underground pipes & wires first!!), then lash groups of corn stalks or even dead branches from your yard to it to camouflage the side of the house. Set other props in front of the stalks or branches.

You could also use some dark landscaping cloth to make sort of an arch in front of the trellis - kind of rocky & cave-like. Then dangle upside-down bats with light up eyes from the trellis so it looks like it's a cave full of bats.

This could also be a simple way to disguise the white trellis - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347961735892/
Lots of mossy texture hanging from it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have a picture of an apparition. What if that is in the window, becoming the centerpiece. That would draw your eye away from the trellis. You could really use it to frame that window up. Wow! You have some great bones to work with there. Does it get a lot of wind?

I could see skeleton sentinels an each side of the window, in front of the trellis' (which I LOVE btw).
Really like the idea of projecting into that window, that's the master bathroom .. I'd have to experiment to see if I could get the projector far enough back to work. No, not a ton of wind .. That is a fairly protected area for the most part.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could just drape creepy cloth over the white pergola part. It would help hide it, without putting the roses into shade (I think!)

I have always had a skeleton crawling out of any bushes that are in our scene. I don't know if you have any that are only torsos, that would make it easier to do that. The ones with legs are sometimes too big, unless you want them to be out further.

I really like this idea below, although the creatures themselves, I would need something different. I do like these, but they don't quite fit in with my other things.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/08/c9/fb/08c9fb06d6a83fb120192b04f0457773.jpg

and the pin that I got it from: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261068109627886133/

Thanks for all the great ideas, I have tons of broken Skellies .. I actually will probably need to sit down this year and do repairs before they go up, each year in storage they seem to come out worse off than they go in. We joke they have Skellie wars :p

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I like the idea of moving your mausoleum facade in front of the rose arbor, if you could make it fit. If you set it somewhat decently in front of the rose bushes, it will conceal them without blocking light and then also give depth to the back of your house wall for the projection.

You could add a skelly or old caretaker prop pushing a wheelbarrow full of leaves & bones, and add some some headstones all around so it's an extension of your cemetery.

You could also use your beef netting spider webs in front of the trellis and anchor them diagonally in front of the bed so that they aren't touching the bushes. Then have some spiders climbing up it and along your house walls.

Also, if you wanted to go a little different - this is a great effect by Pumpkinrot -

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347963660670/

You could hammer some rebar into the ground (check your underground pipes & wires first!!), then lash groups of corn stalks or even dead branches from your yard to it to camouflage the side of the house. Set other props in front of the stalks or branches.

You could also use some dark landscaping cloth to make sort of an arch in front of the trellis - kind of rocky & cave-like. Then dangle upside-down bats with light up eyes from the trellis so it looks like it's a cave full of bats.

This could also be a simple way to disguise the white trellis - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347961735892/
Lots of mossy texture hanging from it.
Awesome ideas, I have a ton of beef netting left from last year's order!
I do something along the lines of the abandoned cornfield in a kind of sorta way using what is in my yard. I have a 10 foot hedge of limelight hydrengas that seperate the main house's driveway from the cottage, along the fence line. By October, the flowers are dead for the year .. Last year I left them on and stuck my huge scarecrow in the middle.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts