Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought fence finials but the 1/2 inch pvc pipe was too big to go into them. I found some cpvc pipe that fits into them but there is a lot of room to spare. I am looking for suggestions as to how to glue the finial onto the small cpvc pipe. I have thought about putting duct tape around the pipe to take up some of the room and then gluing them but does anyone have a better idea? I am afraid over time the tape would stop holding onto the pipe in our AZ heat.

·
Registered
425 Posts
try super gluing them into the finials and the using great stuff foam to fill the gap. It would have to be sanded of when cured.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying liquid nails. Liquid nails is kind of thick and seems to be holding the pipe in place and not dripping down like gorilla glue did. Maybe when it dries that will be all it needs. I don't want these to come off if someone tries to pull on them.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Use a heat gun and melt the tip. It will be very forgiving. You can then make the opening larger to jam the finials inside. Add PVC glue around the finial before inserting.

I did this with a 1 inch square base finial inside a 3/4 piece of PVC....80 some times :)

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Could you glue the finial to the smaller PVC pipe with liquid nails and then when its dry drill a hole though the finial into the PVC pipe and insert a screw? Just make sure the hole you drill is smaller than the screw so it will hold.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terror Tom,
Great idea. I have glued them with liquid nails and they are out in my yard drying. Once they are dry I will buy some small screws and screw them on. That way no one would be able to just yank them off. Thanks!

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
I bought fence finials but the 1/2 inch pvc pipe was too big to go into them. I found some cpvc pipe that fits into them but there is a lot of room to spare. I am looking for suggestions as to how to glue the finial onto the small cpvc pipe. I have thought about putting duct tape around the pipe to take up some of the room and then gluing them but does anyone have a better idea? I am afraid over time the tape would stop holding onto the pipe in our AZ heat.
All the above are good ideas BUT.... YES I SAID BUT I have had the same thing happen to me. Here is what you do take your finial go to Lowes or Home Depot. Go to where they have the all the wooden dowels. Find the one that fits I think it was 1/2" dowel but check buy 2 sticks or as much as you may need....Now no screwing around at the store looking at other things there is work to be done. I cut mine around 3 inches I then went and got some ice tea and my glue gun glued the dowels into the finials and then put some more hot glue on the dowels and slid the dowels into the fence. If you need pictures take them LOL ok if you want my pics let me know but that way its also easy to replace if needed.
GOOD LUCK AND LET THE SWARTZ BE WITH YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Use a heat gun and melt the tip. It will be very forgiving. You can then make the opening larger to jam the finials inside. Add PVC glue around the finial before inserting.

I did this with a 1 inch square base finial inside a 3/4 piece of PVC....80 some times :)
I'm not sure I did this method exactly but I heated the tops of the PVC and used pliers to squish it together and popped the finial down onto it. Once the PVC cooled it formed a tight bond with the finial all except for a few pieces. Screws could be added later if need be.

I think I see now where our methods differ....My finial is OVER the PVC...not inside of the PVC pipe :)
maybe we have different finials because I would never have been able to do that with mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts