Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am looking for inexpensive ways to get the SSC-32 to run multiple solenoid valves at the same time. Anyone have any ideas?

I also have a bunch of used Festo Vacuum Generators. Anyone have any ideas of making them operate as a 3 or 4 way solenoid valve? I believe I can do this because some of them have two solenoids, one for vacuum and one for positive air.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is the voltage of your solenoids? The SSC-32 can handle TTL output voltages. I’m guessing your solenoids are 24v or higher, now if this is true you will need a relay to drive your solenoids. I have done this before, I used VSA for the control software, the SSC-32, some TTL level board relays, which didn’t work out for me they weren’t fast enough for what I wanted them to do, and so I switched to SSR’s for my servopneumatic solenoids. You can get the TTL relays on EBay real cheap; I got 50 of them for $10.00. The relays were rated at 5v on the coil, 24v 2 amps on the contacts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'd second the SSRs (Solid State Relays). They'll be more expensive than standard relays, but they'll be the only reliable method, aside from cobbling a circuit together to switch more current. The SSC-32 isn't meant to switch any current, but rather just send out TTL signals (I checked their schematic online).

Since SSRs use very little current to turn on, you can count on them to switch. But almost all 5v coil-based relays would require more current to switch (reliably) than the 74HC595MTC, through the 220R resistor will provide. This *might* well be a reason Death_Master was running into switching speed problems.

I'm soon to be offering a board to control relays, servos, and LEDs from VSA. But if you just need to control the solenoid valves, and already have your SSC-32, SSRs will be the perfect solution :)

- Hook

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy

Hook, would you tell me more about that board?
Guys, how do you hook these relays to the board and get them to work with VSA?
I want to control solenoid valves and other things too.
I want to make these valves inflate cylinders on cue and maintain pressure then deflate on cue and maintain whatever pressure is left---like hydrolic would do but pneumatic. What kind of valves work like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's more details in this post, but the basics are that the board will control (8) relays, (8) servos, and (8) LEDs, or strings of LEDs, through a DMX network.

If, lets say, you were using 12v mechanical relays with my board, you'd hook one side of all of the relay coils together, and connect them to the positive of the 12v supply. And then connect the other side of the coil (for each relay) to one of the 'switch' outputs on my board. Here's a diagram that will show you more.

If you wanted to use the SSC-32 with SSRs (solid state relays), you could use this part, for example. You'd connect the output of the SSC-32 to the + side of the input on the relay. Then connect the - side of the input on the relay to the negative of the SSC-32 power supply.

Either of these would accomplish the bulk of what you're looking for. However, it does sound a little like you're trying to get *incremental* position control with the cylinders. That is, it sounds like you want to get the cylinder to stop half way, and hold position. Pneumatics aren't very good at that, since air is compressible. There are ways of doing position control (I think the maintenance robot in the queue at the Star Tours ride at Disneyland is an example), but it's ex$$$pensive. You still might get what you're looking for, though, through creative timing of the opening/closing of the valves. But the only definite positions the cylinder will hold at are fully extended, and fully closed. With regards to the valves

If you give a little more info regarding how you want the prop to move, we might be able to help more regarding what kind / how to pipe the valves.

- Hook

1 - 5 of 5 Posts