Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been doing haunted houses for about 20 years now. But this is only my second year doing it...professionally on a big scale. last year we hired actors. payed them to fill in. this year im looking for volunteers. im getting some responses but not enough. my advertisements are good and my facebook page is getting alot of attention. its just not happening quick enough for me. I open october 3rd. however, the weather is getting colder and pumpkins are showing up in stores so I think people are getting in the mood. anything else I can do to boost it? I have called the schools and let them know. and I have this great mobile advertising uploadfromtaptalk1410616623894.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,608 Posts
If this is a commercial haunt, do you have a way to post signage outside the facility soliciting volunteers? Can you advertise in a local paper or even do a radio spot? How many nights is it open and what are you expecting of your actors? If it's a multiple night huant, you may have trouble getting people to commit. Some will do it for a few nights for the fun but then peter out. Paid help might be more reliable. What ages are you looking for? The problem with young helpers is that they often don't get the gist of what you're trying to do. older help is better but sometimes more unreliable. As far as schools, if they have a theater department, you can get kids with not only acting but make-up/costume expertise as well. Maybe set up a meeting with the theater department head or the kids themselves so they can meet you and get a feel for what you want them to do. Consider a local boy Scout Troop too, maybe offering the Troop a donation, which most of them would appreciate. We had a local haunt open up last year that advertised for help and they got a very good response. You were paid $20.00 a night if you showed up for a certain number of nights. There were some younger kids (16/17) who were kind of hammy and really didn't get the concept. some of the adults did a great job. When you do a cattle call, you'll get a wide cross section so have some criteria (minimum age, past experience, etc). For the past several years at our home haunt, I've used my sons and their friends. Also being a scout leader I have access to a lot of willing volunteers from our Troop. I normally need 10-12 actors. We feed them before hand and afterwards. This year we might have T shirts made up for the crew. They love it and do it for the fun, and the ones who have come back year to year are pretty darn good!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Unless you were a close friend, no way would I VOLUNTEER to work in your haunt if it was a pro haunt, and even a friends, I would only offer up a couple of days. Sounds like you are looking for free labor for your business. However, if you have some cash and other incentives to get volunteers, then your likelihood to get some "employees" should increase.

If it was a home haunt, I'd go with Jdubbya's offer...feed them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts