Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seams to be a year of "floating: for us. Same as with the Evil Entity thread, if there is interest in this, I'll post more pics.

I wanted a Spell Book in our Coven, but neither witch can be set up to hold a spell book and there's no table to place it on in the coven. So I decided that the new Tekky spell book that opens in mid air would look cool if it appeared to be "floating" in the center of the coven. I thought about hanging it by fishing lines, but it needs to be at an angle so the TOTs can see the pages when it opens. Fishing lines get in the way and the sway gives away the lines.

Solution:
1. Drill a hole in the horizontal 2x4 support at the back of the West side of the Coven, just behind the "fireplace Mantle."
2. Bend one end of a 6 foot piece of rebar into a tight circle.
3. Angle the circle about 45 degrees down from the horizontal plain of the rebar.
4. Measure the needed distance from the corner of the coven to the point at which we want the Spell Book to "float" and mark that measurement on the horizontal plane of the rebar.
5. Bend the rebar down vertically on that end (opposite end from the circle).
6. The Spell Book comes in packaging such that it includes one twist tie mounting point in each corner of the bottom of the book. Use twist ties to firmly mount the bottom of the book to the 45 degree, tilted circle of rebar.
7. Set the rebar into the hole at the back of the coven.
8. If necessary, reposition the book so that the lower edge of the book is horizontal.
9. in our case, we positioned the rebar so that it's at the upper edge of the Cauldron Stiring Witch's shoulder. This places the rebar behind the witch or directly behind the book at every angle, exceot this one:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coven is built with 2x4s and metal simpson brackets. It's covered in 4mil black plastic that is covered with scene setters. It's more simple than it sounds. The coven usually goes up in one day. I took it all down in about 4 hours this year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
LT Scare, love the idea! Do you happen to have any pictures showing the hidden parts of the set up? I'm having a bit of difficultly understanding how you did it just based on the instructions.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry this took so long to post, but we were busy dismantling and storing the haunt. My poor neighbors saw the wood come out of back yard storage on Labor day weekend and the last of the haunt disappear the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Crazy.

This is the rebar that I shaped for the Spell Book. The book, of course, covers the loop end of the rebar, which is angled to display the book to the TOTs. The rebar mounts in a hole in the far right corner of a horizontal support - behind the cauldron stirring witch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts