Halloween Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I'm using 1 1/2" polypropylene under-sink (drainage) pipes for my candles. Stiffer than cardboard or a fluorescent tube protector, but thin enough to let the light glow through. PPE is hard to glue or paint (though whoever made the labels for it sure knew how to make a good adhesive) so I primed it with Fusion paint first. I'm going to take 3 flicker bulbs out of some tea lights (the Dollar Tree and Target ones seem to have the flicker circuit built into the bulb now instead of a separate board) and wire them to run off 2 AAA batteries for added brightness.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ive never seen that, have to go today so will def check it out. I managed to push/pull off the top 'flame part' of the t-lights. It took 3min or less. The first candle is the hardest bc I thought I would pull the whole mechanism out of the candle & destroy it. Luckily the outer flame part pops off rather easily. Its held in by 2 little clip parts at the bottom that hold it in just inside the rim of the candle hole. They pop off rather easily after you take a deep breath & pop off the first one.
Cant wait to caulk them. I think that looks sooooo much more realistic than the ugly plastic flame part. They also look spookier too.
I think the black candles look the best. I saw where they had black candles for sale & painted the dripping wax part red. It looked fantastic. Of course Im not going to $ for them, I can do that myself. I guess you would just spray paint the candle column first then drip ur wax, then paint that red.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
For anyone who has a Sams nearby, they have a package of 24 white tea lights with 24 extra batteries for sale. They are good quality and I believe they were around $15.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Just finished up about 10 or so groups of candles for my graveyard Saturday. I painted them with Krylon ivory and then washed them with a red/brown color that came out awesome. My candles look like they are bleeding as they burned down. I'll post pictures this week sometime. Can't wait 'til tonight!!! Thanks for the fantastic (and VERY easy) tutorial!!!!!

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Yes, and they turn out AMAZING!! I did several groupings to go in between my gravestones last year and they really added that little extra something to the whole ambiance. Your hand will get sore from the glue gun, so get a high temp one to make it easier. This is a great prop to build. I will get some pics of mine up this week.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you don't want to burn through batteries, take a look at this video.
Everything you always wanted to know about wiring up those little flickering tea lights to an adapter, but were afraid to ask!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love these.. just made some myself. I used the foam pipe insulation you get from lowes instead of the expanding foam. Much easier and cleaner. I just buy the size that fits perfectly inside the pvc pipe and cut it to the length you need. It fits snug and holds the tea lights. Its a few bucks for 8 ft
View attachment 130839

21 - 31 of 31 Posts