Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Nothing like a last-minute post for advice - our party is in 12 hours! So every year, like many of you, we spend months planning, weeks decorating, and lots of money on our party. We decorate every downstairs room in our house. INSIDE the house. Yet every year without fail, half of the party ends up sitting around the (undecorated) backyard patio table. The house ends up feeling empty. The problem is that there are a few guests who are smokers, so of course they go outside but then they end up hanging out there. Inevitably, as people start drinking the casual smokers emerge and go join them. I guess it rubs me the wrong way because I hate cigarette smoke with a fiery passion. I feel sick almost immediately when I'm around it, so I don't want to go out there to socialize. We live in San Diego, which makes it even harder because often it is comfortable at night outside in October.

My first thought was "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", and I started planning another decorated are for the back patio (scene setters, a tent as a dance floor, etc.) But then I thought, screw it. It's additional time and money I don't have. And I don't want to spend my night outside that close to cigarette smoke. As of now, our plan is to move all of the patio furniture and stash it on the side of the house so there are no chairs or tables, and not turn any lights on (we usually do tiki torches and a green flood). Of course smokers can still go outside, but I'm thinking they won't be encouraged to linger now. Does this sound too harsh? After five years of feeling like we throw a middle-school party (girls inside in one area, guys outside in another) I'm feeling desperate.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
My opinion, if you know that there is always a large gathering on you patio, then do away with decorating the least used room in the house and decorate the patio. Just incorporate that with the flow of the other rooms.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
From your post it sounds like a guy thing. Make sure the beer and food is the farthest away from the door to outside. Maybe put tape to block exiting the back door and forcing smokers to smoke out front where there's no seating to hang out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think your idea of removing anything to make it comfortable is a step in the right direction.But some people are just creatures of habit..so , do not let it get to you, and do not feel like you have to make yourself sick by hanging out with the smokers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts