Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom just gave me a really cool vintage looking Circus Costume that has shimmery flames on it. I want to make some kind of fire eater or fire tamer with the shirt now, but am at a loss how to do something neat and simple for a prop. Perhaps with my pose n stay skeleton.

I have the fire n ice lights but not sure what else to try and use, the light is just great on a wall but maybe have the prop holding something like a long stick with some kind of flame on the tips? Make this out of fabric maybe?

Help me brainstorm something easy friends, thanks!

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Kittyvibe, I've had a Carnival Fire-swallower prop in the works for when I do my Haunted Carnival theme. Saw your post request and threw together a tutorial with videos and photos of how I'm doing my prop's head. Haven't worked out the body yet but maybe this will give you some ideas. My carnival/side show is still a ways off.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/139522-carnival-fire-swallower-prop-head.html

I also have some thoughts about doing an animated sword-swallower using the same mask but haven't attempted anything yet. My thought would be to have the sword go up and down with the clown's hand on the sword. On the fire-swallower prop I'll probably have the prop holding another flaming torch in one of his hands and have that near his head so it looks like he ate the flame and moved the lit torch out of the way.

Since you are now short of time to do this, I don't think this is the solution for you. However if you could somehow add fabric (maybe hot gluing thin wire to the edges to give it a flame shape and stay somewhat rigid), and adding an LED light in the skull head's open mouth area, it might give the illusion of a flame coming out.

Colored cellophane might be another material source for a flame. If you have a way to add a small fan to the area aimed at the mouth you might be able to get some movement to the cellophane since it's so lightweight.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very cool idea GOS! I think I actually have a small torch but not sure "how" small, but alas, it is now very much packed away in storage. For a light in the mouth I could get a mini book light or mini flashlight from DT. (and color them a red or yellow color ). And also add the fabric as suggested on a stick with a small fan blowing nearby.

I was thinking of just doing this with a skeleton but the mask idea is better I think, since the skeleton head doesnt lean back. thanks for the brainstorming to help me get the juices flowing. :)

oh! what about those single light bulb strands and add a flickering flame light to it? Its a bit brighter than using a tealight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts