Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
I know this is vague and depends on tons of factors. What I'm looking for is a haunted garage walk though. YES I have been building for many, many years. But I have always had a yard haunt.
I want to take it to the next level.
I have access to tons of pallets I thought that would be great FREE walls/dividers covered in plastic and cardboard.

THEME: torture chamber???

Some questions I have and know the answers to but looking for input from my fellow haunters
  • Building materials?
  • Layout?
  • how many rooms? (I know it depends on the room)
  • Scrim wall a must?
  • How wide should the paths/rooms be?
Things I have:
  • Spill your guts illusion prop
  • many pneumatic props
  • skeletons
  • decorations
  • 2-5 actors
Any other tips/pointers you want to add. I'll try to post up a diagram of dimensions.
-PB

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Is this going to be a continuation of any kind of yard haunt you already have, or do you wish to make the garage become THE haunt (outside of some decorations and props in the yard)?

My thought would be: have the complicated / big illusion scenes be within the garage - only a room or two, so you can really make best use of your talents where you can control things the best, and then have an extension into the driveway / yard that leads into the "big scene"...set them up, as it were, for the big fall.

Some props in the yard for atmosphere...an entryway with a hallway leading to the garage - perhaps an actor or two in that hallway, giving a good scare as they proceed. Build the atmosphere in the hallway, either widening it, or narrowing it, to build towards your big scare in the garage.

Animitronics, and your illusions, could then be set up where you have power, cover, attachment points above, below and to the sides of your props and illusions to give better control.

Make a good exit hallway for your victims to run out of...perhaps a scare on the way out, or something...

This will also give you the luxury of time - setting up the garage early in the season, perfecting things, and then you'll be able to set up your yard and other parts of the haunt at the last minute, without worrying if your "big scare" is going to be done on time, or correctly.

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
Well we are closing in the carport to scare the kiddies..hopefully So I love this thread.

MAn I don't have any animatronics really. :( I am not great at building. I do hope you post pics a long the way :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a taste

Here are a few items I have to work with NOT ALL just some I found pics of:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I do a haunted garage but it's not a walkthrough. I would say though to make it a maze and screen it off in sections with whatever screening material you are using, either keep it single file or wide enough for 2 to walk together . I would keep the top open though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
either keep it single file or wide enough for 2 to walk together . I would keep the top open though.
I was thinking 2 wide as people would hold on to each other :D provided I can make it scarry enough.
Why the top open??? I figured it would be darker, easier to hide things, light it the way I want to, etc....The garage is just rafters no drywall ceiling.

All good thoughts keep them coming
-PB

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am going the weed guard route for walls. Picked up a bunch of 3' X 50' rolls from big lots for $2.50 each, on clearance. I will be adding eyelets to the fabric doubled up. Twine tied to the rafters and 2 x 4's place along the bottom to hold it down.

I havn't exactly figured out how everything will go or even the pathway, other than they will end up going out the back door to continue the walk through around the house.

I will be using a big scream TV setup inside the garage. I also picked up one of those skeleton coachman from Michaels. He will make an excellent greeter at the entrance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
people will feel more secure with the top open, i was thinking that if it was all enclosed someone might freak out and tear though the walls. But if it was enclosed on top i heard you can put threads hanging down. in the dark they would feel like spiderwebs.
Hey propboy, i just noticed your spider victim picture, that pic was my inspiration for last year! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet but wasn't my pic I couldn't find the pics of mine so I "borrowed" someone :D
but yes they are very sweet.

I was thinking of having an actor in a suspension harness wrapped in webbing hanging off the ground in a room with several other spider victims. Then when the ToT'ers walk in they see the fake then the actor gets them

-PB

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
I have a haunted walkthrough everyyear that goes all around my house. It has a maze and different sections to go through. The entire thing is enclosed even the top and so far I havent had any problems with people freaking out. I figure if they know its all enclosed and have some type of claustrophobia problem they probably shouldnt be going through to begin with:) Please post pics and you have quite a few props to start with. Very nice:)

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
you have some pretty cool props... and I LIKE the idea better of NOT making it a walk through --just having a screen up ;)

My neighborhood is nice, but the overflow from the apartment complex a couple of streets over, not so much....

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
I'm working on this very thing right now. I was first going to hang landscape plastic from PVC "curtain rods" but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. I've used pipe canopies before at swap meets and that's the way I'll be going. It's an inexpensive and very solid way to go for the framework. 3/4" 10' EMT conduit sections are about $3.50 each from Home Depot and the connectors can be bought for a great price from Yuma Bargain Warehouse...

Canopy Parts and Tarps Everything you need to build your Canopy.

I was looking at tarps but I think I'm going to stick with the thick landscape plastic. A 10' x 100' roll is something like $50 from Lowes. I have some camo netting that I'll use for the roof.

I was going to go pipe canopy style with no bottoms until I happened across this older how-to from Wil at Creep Crafters...

Tent Wall System -Creep Crafters .Com-

Putting on the bottom connectors and pipes makes a lot of sense. It adds rigidity and allows for much easier securing of the wall panels. He used tarps but getting black tarps in the right sizes looks to be expensive. I'm going to take the landscape plastic and fold it over the tops and bottoms and then make a pocket at the right tension with gaffers tape. I think it will work out well and I should only need one roll. I'm going to run some extra pipes across the top on sliding elbows for holding lights.

This subject came up recently on threads here and on Haunt Forum...

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/80341-how-haunt-apartment-tennis-court.html

700 square foot garage - HauntForum.com

My wife made a 3D diagram of our setup yesterday that I can post tomorrow. Ours will be pretty simple... a hallway and one room. I'm making the hallway narrow (2') to save space and stress people out. I'm looking forward to being able to have all the fancy props setup well ahead of time in a weather protected environment (while my Corvette sits outside for two months.... I really am nuts).

Spookilicious mama... could you share how you made your walkthrough?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm working on this very thing right now. I was first going to hang landscape plastic from PVC "curtain rods" but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. I've used pipe canopies before at swap meets and that's the way I'll be going. It's an inexpensive and very solid way to go for the framework. 3/4" 10' EMT conduit sections are about $3.50 each from Home Depot and the connectors can be bought for a great price from Yuma Bargain Warehouse...

Canopy Parts and Tarps Everything you need to build your Canopy.

I was looking at tarps but I think I'm going to stick with the thick landscape plastic. A 10' x 100' roll is something like $50 from Lowes. I have some camo netting that I'll use for the roof.

I was going to go pipe canopy style with no bottoms until I happened across this older how-to from Wil at Creep Crafters...

Tent Wall System -Creep Crafters .Com-

Putting on the bottom connectors and pipes makes a lot of sense. It adds rigidity and allows for much easier securing of the wall panels. He used tarps but getting black tarps in the right sizes looks to be expensive. I'm going to take the landscape plastic and fold it over the tops and bottoms and then make a pocket at the right tension with gaffers tape. I think it will work out well and I should only need one roll. I'm going to run some extra pipes across the top on sliding elbows for holding lights.

This subject came up recently on threads here and on Haunt Forum...

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/80341-how-haunt-apartment-tennis-court.html

700 square foot garage - HauntForum.com

My wife made a 3D diagram of our setup yesterday that I can post tomorrow. Ours will be pretty simple... a hallway and one room. I'm making the hallway narrow (2') to save space and stress people out. I'm looking forward to being able to have all the fancy props setup well ahead of time in a weather protected environment (while my Corvette sits outside for two months.... I really am nuts).

Spookilicious mama... could you share how you made your walkthrough?

Keep it up man..good ideas..

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
This year, I've changed up my garage. I've made 1" x 2" wood frames and stretched weed fabric over it and they are held in place with Velcro. Jute rope is attached to the top and they will be hung from the ceiling. Here's what they look like (this is a one-sided one):

Here's the layout for the garage this year and shows you how the wall panels will be laid out:

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
That looks really good Terra. It sure makes attaching the fabric/plastic easy. Are your panels going to go all the way to the floor? From your layout, it seems like you could attach the panels to each other instead of hanging them if desired. I see you have a major supply of panels back there ready to go! I guess storage is one other consideration for people to think about. If you have space these wood and fabric panels really do look excellent and are probably going to cost less than the pipe canopy system (although I expect they'll take longer to make, setup and take down). The pipe canopy does break down pretty small.

Here's a drawing of our planned setup...

I just made a cost estimate. I'm looking at about $250 total for the conduit, connectors and landscape plastic. Definitely more expensive than other systems but still not excessive. One nice thing is that it can be extended outside the garage if desired by adding pipe and changing connectors. One downside (especially when compared to Terra's) is that to make changes you need different connectors and probably more conduit.

Lots of great info here!

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Yeah, your way is very intriguing to me. I was already halfway through the building of the walls so I couldn't go back. But, if I have problems with mine this year, I'm gonna take a good look at yours.

The panels will go up 8 feet from the floor and they are 6' wide. The neat part of using the Velcro panels is that I can change them out. Most of these will be painted with 3D images so I can tear off a panel and paint a new one to keep things changing year to year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts