Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've upgraded our Annual Ween Party with a DJ and 15x30 party tent (with sides- it can be chilly here in NY and a dance floor) in our backyard.
Just not sure how to decorate it.... It's going to be soooo white, ya know?

Any ideas for lighting and décor would really help!

Thank you weeners!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh, fun! I don't know what kind of theme or decor you're going to do on the inside, but I'm thinking budget-minded & it'd be neat to convert the tent into a sort of spider's lair, which I think is something that can be accomplished inexpensively.

First, I'd buy a lot of black trash bags and start cutting them using this tutorial for spider webs -

http://www.hgtv.com/handmade/trash-bag-spider-webs/index.html

You could also use black duct tape to create spider webs right on the tent if you're allowed to do that. It might make for a neat photo background if you did a big web right by the opening of the tent. People could get their pictures taken by it all night, especially if you set up some props & a small table or creepy chair in front of it.

I think webs would look pretty good on a white background & they'd probably cast some neat shadows when the tent was lit up too!
Then, I'd get started making some giant spiders out of milk jugs, duct tape, pool noodles or plumbing insulation, like this -

http://spoonful.com/crafts/spooky-spider

You could attach all this stuff with tape or some of those reuseable 3M hooks. There are also lots of ideas out there on creating the spider nests out of gauze & dollar store spider rings or larger spiders they sell.

Talk to the tent rental place to see what they allow. Another option that might mean less tape is to cut strips of black trash bags or cheap black plastic tablecloths (dollar store) into long or jagged strips and use them to "stripe" the tent so it looks like a dark carnival-type tent. You might be able to tie clear fishing line from tent pole to tent pole and then hang decorations off the fishing line instead of sticking anything to the tent, so that could be a good way to go too.

Good luck! Hope to see photos of what you end up doing! :)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Oh yeah, I would definitely go with a Circus theme.....red & white sheets or tablecloths. You can hang streamers from the center out and let them hang down.
Lots of creepy centerpieces in popcorn containers, clowns etc

or you could go with black, red & white...vampires, Dracula

or you can make it a gathering place for zombie survivors?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess it would depend a lot on what theme you go with. Some themes would definitely be a lot more expensive to convert into working with a white tent.

I think you could make the big white tent work for you with a creepy black & white circus/carnival/masquerade theme. I'd do huge amounts of spiderwebs and tattered/shredded cheesecloth to make sure it doesn't tip too much towards glam. Maybe layer that over sheets of black fabric or black streamers to give it that circus striped look.

I found this blog (image heavy!) that used a white party tent and they did some really great hanging "nests" with black flying birds, though you could easily do bats.

But that's my initial aesthetic impulse. There's so many ways to take it. ^_^

·
Registered
387 Posts
What is your theme? You can do Spider's Ball for little cost and with most of the stuff you probably already have. For your big space filer/decorations go to your city lawn waste area and get as many old tree branches as you need. Lightly spray the limbs black and line the inside of the tent walls and some on the outside entryway. Add Spanish moss to branches so that it hangs down like in nature to add to your creepy look. Don't forget the celling when putting up the branches!! Fishing line will easily hold them in place and will add a lot to your general look. If you have any large rubber snakes laying around add them to the branches. Hang the spiders on fishing line EVERYWHERE and all different lengths so that it looks like there isn't a place to stand or sit without touching one. I'd even put snakes or spiders on the tables where your guests will sit. Do you have a large spider?? Bonus!!! That would make a marvelous centerpiece in your theme at your Spider's Ball.

For larger props make spider victims out of some of your props you already have or just put blucky feet and hands out of a spider balls made out of cheap cotton batting/loose stuffing. Using the painted branches won't be too expensive and yet it'd cover a lot of space. You'd just be out the cost of the spay paint, moss and for everything else use any spiders/snakes you already have. You know with that much wall space I think Scene Setters would be a good addition to the blackened trees, moss, spiders and snakes too. Your Spider or Icky Ball is ready to boogie down!! Lol Plus this is the party I REALLY like . . .The take down would be a breeze since the branches go back to the city and you'll need very little storage for your ball since you've used most of what you already have. That is always important to me!! Lolol. Hope this helps.

GigglelingGhost

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
You could also turn it into a "Dexter's Kill Room" type space and cover the walls with painter's plastic(which you can find at WalMart for pretty cheap)
and then take fake blood and just have fun splattering it all over the plastic (though i'd take precaution not to get any on the actual tent.)
And you could suspend body parts wrapped in plastic from the top, maybe set up a dummy with a Dexter style apron.

But if gore isn't your bag I really also like the spider idea and the carnival idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing Ideas!

Jenn&MattFromPA - Amazing ideas! I wanted a place for people to take pictures. And I was looking up how to make giant spiders! I was definitely leaning towards a more economical solution since A) Its a large space B)Im spending some nice mula on the rest of the ginormo party... haha

GiggleingGhost- I don't think I really have a theme. But then again.... most of my house is decorated in spiders, and completely covered in spider webs. So I guess I do. I have really ornate furniture so it ends up looking like a haunted mansion more than anything.

Chocolatemice- I saw that nest! So cool!

Offmymeds- Zombie survivors?!!! That's so freakin creative!!!

I would LUVVVVV to do a creepy Carnival theme, but I feel like I cant afford it this year. I mean, my mind automatically goes to needing: http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/tt-thrashing-clown/

I was looking at all of the options for Scene Setters because they are pretty cheap and I can cover a large area. I was thinking of doing a dungeon type setting, since my house is haunted mansiony....

What do you guys think of this:
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/tbc-stone-wall-back-drop/

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/be-catacombs-backdrop/

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/black-loose-weave-fabric-decoration/

I will def use more of my spiders and spider webs for the ceiling. I do need some snakes too!

I need some cool lighting ideas! Uplighting is key I think. What colors do you think I should use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts