Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the method I used to create some pretty convincing lightweight rocks for a cave formation.

Start out with a block of styrofoam. Next take a can of black or brown spray paint and spray the styrofoam lightly. As you guessed a lot of the foam should melt and come up with interesting shapes.

After you have achieved the look you like - get a DRY sponge, and detail painting brush. You will need the following acrylic paint (about 4-6 dollars a tube.) Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Brown, Black, And White. IF you wan more of a reddish stone grab ochre

1.First lay a thick coat of your base color on your styrofoam piece - in my case I used a lot of brown and applied this with my sponge. YOu want to cover up as much "white" color as possible to get the best effect on the texture.

2. Next I took and mixed a combo of seinna brown with black and white.

3. Dab this into your current base color. I found it works best to get the right mix if the base is still wet. Your goal is to achieve a sandy grainy look with streaks.

4. Pay close attention to the divits or indentations caused by using spray paint. IN order to achieve some more realisim we want to add some shading. Take the black / and gray or mix white and black to fill in these dents, and rough holes. You can dab the pain into these areas. The goal is to fill them so they appear to look like holes in the rock.

6. Do this with multiple combinations and you can create awesome cave faces, stalagtites, stalagmites, solid ground rocks, tombstones, etc....

have fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry all I looked high and low and could not find the pictures of the actual cave only the other areas :(.

I'll see if someone still has the prop laying around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love to see any variations or creations people come up with if they do this. I'm working on several craft ideas and will take lots of pictures to catalog things.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So cool! I think I'll use those in my living room or "bat cave" as I like to think of it. Will look very coo!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Those rocks look like the real expensive ones with speakers or lights in them that you can buy at patio stores. Great job!

I've attached a pic of my 'Batcave'. I rolled out kraft paper (which is very inexpensive) on my garage floor and took a faux finish roller and rolled brown tempera paint onto it. Then I hung it on the staircase walls and painted bats on it. The first year it was flat on the wall, when I stored it, it got all crumpled up and I thought I'd have to make a new one. But, I put it up all crumpled and now it has the perfect effect of cave walls.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Those rocks look like the real expensive ones with speakers or lights in them that you can buy at patio stores. Great job!

I've attached a pic of my 'Batcave'. I rolled out kraft paper (which is very inexpensive) on my garage floor and took a faux finish roller and rolled brown tempera paint onto it. Then I hung it on the staircase walls and painted bats on it. The first year it was flat on the wall, when I stored it, it got all crumpled up and I thought I'd have to make a new one. But, I put it up all crumpled and now it has the perfect effect of cave walls.

That is an amazing effect, the crumpled effect is perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts