Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So yesterday, I made a trip to Ikea, and I found this big mirror for only ten dollars. I'm wanting to crack it up a little bit and then cover it with fake blood. Problem is, I've never cracked a mirror. How would you go about doing that without completely shattering it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well I wouldn't want broken glass to be any part of my display, but with the obvious hazard of broken glass, if I was going to, I would cover the mirror on both sides with a layer of clear contact paper before breaking it. It will help to keep it a bit safer for all involved, keep it from completely falling apart, and may break in such a way that it will shatter more at the impact zone and spider out from there.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Best advice would be to create a fake crack look using a very thin pin point brush & black or white paint ( test to see which is easiest to see in the lighting you plan on using it. )
I do pinstriping & use oil based paint for this effect on window edges of hot rods / rat rods ( it's a thing....lol ) & I've had people think it was really cracked ! Safer this way & the paint can be scraped off to use it i another way down the road if you needed........Craft paints should work just as well.

In a haunt environment at night with ToTer's not noticing all the fine detailing we do as they run thru, it should look great for a cracked mirror effect you may need.
If done right, those that take a longer look should still work just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best advice would be to create a fake crack look using a very thin pin point brush & black or white paint ( test to see which is easiest to see in the lighting you plan on using it. )
I do pinstriping & use oil based paint for this effect on window edges of hot rods / rat rods ( it's a thing....lol ) & I've had people think it was really cracked ! Safer this way & the paint can be scraped off to use it i another way down the road if you needed........Craft paints should work just as well.

In a haunt environment at night with ToTer's not noticing all the fine detailing we do as they run thru, it should look great for a cracked mirror effect you may need.
If done right, those that take a longer look should still work just fine.
Thank you! I'll try this instead!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.