Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need big help. Do you guys know how to hook up a bimba air cylinder to an air compressor. I already have the air line and a lot of materials but i can not figure out how to hook it up.
THANKS,
KEV

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,
I need big help. Do you guys know how to hook up a bimba air cylinder to an air compressor. I already have the air line and a lot of materials but i can not figure out how to hook it up.
THANKS,
KEV
So what "materials" do you have be specific. Normally you have the air line connected from the Compressor to a regulator then to an air valve then to the Bimba. From the Compressor air line you go into an regulator or use the one ON the compressor and set it for 20LB's to start then when you Trigger or Activate or Turn ON the air valve the cylinder will move. Since we only know you have the Bimba and we have no idea what else you have its hard to help you. Is the Bimba a dual action 2 openings for an air line or just 1 which would make it a single action ?Do you have a picture of your setup that will help as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Be careful..compressed air is dangerous!:)
You aren't kidding. I vividly remember when I was 14 and taking my first SCUBA class. It was just after the first time in the pool. We were starting to disassemble our equipment to put it away. I was able to unscrew the tank from the harness to the regulator. At this point, the air started spraying out of the tank and sliced into my thumb. I was lucky it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok everyone thanks,
so now i got the air cylinder to go out but how do i make it come back in.
THANKS,
Kev

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot to mention that my air cylinder is a air return cylinder too if that helps anyone figure out my problem.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what "materials" do you have be specific. Normally you have the air line connected from the Compressor to a regulator then to an air valve then to the Bimba. From the Compressor air line you go into an regulator or use the one ON the compressor and set it for 20LB's to start then when you Trigger or Activate or Turn ON the air valve the cylinder will move. Since we only know you have the Bimba and we have no idea what else you have its hard to help you. Is the Bimba a dual action 2 openings for an air line or just 1 which would make it a single action ?Do you have a picture of your setup that will help as well.
Sorry it has 2 openings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always use 4 way valves with my air cylinder props. The air compressor goes into teh solenoid valve, then one two of the ports go to the cylinder. One port pushes the cylinder rod out and the other pushes it back in. But it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If the prop is heavy enough, use a cheaper 3 way solenoid valve and let the force of gravity reset the cylinder.

What effect are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wilise is correct in asking what effect you are going for. If the cylinder is vertical then gravity can be used. However if it is horizontal, then you need either air forcing it back, or springs etc.

Additionally, there needs to be a way for the air to escape from the cylinder. 3 and 4 way valves have exhausts built in so that the air can exit. If you use a 2 way valve, then there needs to be an exhaust in the line between the valve and the cylinder. You can use something as simple as a small hole in the line, or even an irrigation drip valve.

Here is a link for some additional information on cylinders and valves that may be of help:

Pneumatic Index

1 - 11 of 11 Posts