Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is going to chronicle my attempt to build a crashed UFO. I always start with a few drawings and then I walk around the garage a bit to see what I can actually accomplish. The spacecraft will appear to have crashed into my front yard. Assorted lights and fog machines for effects.

This year my cousin is helping out and is an architect, hence the cool CAD drawing. I'm a cut first, go to store twice kinda guy. Enjoy this journey.....

The CAD drawing....
DSC_6262.jpg

Our base platform...
DSC_6268.jpg
[notice - 12" sonotube in background!! Think "engines".]

The edging to hold our "ribs". The ribs will eventually hold various panels...
DSC_6269.jpg

A small preview of the upright rear wing....
DSC_6270.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greetings humanoids!

UFO progress continues....

Front rib and one of three "thrusters" in place....
Front rib and thruster in place.jpg

Close-up of the rear "thrusters". Some of you office folk may recognize this as a simple file folder.
Rear thruster up close.jpg

Finally, front and rear ribs are in place.
Front and rear ribs in place.jpg

It's starting to take shape. Remember this is only the back half the craft, as the "front" will appear to have crashed into my yard...
Next step will be 2 middle ribs. Then onto the "skin" of the craft, cutting out a alien exit ramp, and the installation of the 2 main "thrusters". These will consist of 12" sonotubes.(because 14" wasn't available)

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Damn, this is starting to get good... almost like watching your favorite TV series, you can't wait for the next episode. Great work so far! And *THANK YOU* for documenting your build. I'm trying to remember to do that myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Significant progress was made this weekend. We were able to mount the engines, all the ribs, and the skin of the craft. Also to the amusement of our neighbors, we did a little test fit out in the front yard. I don't live on a busy street, but still had a few cars slow down with a "what the?" look.

All of our support ribs are now in place.
DSC_6287.jpg

The mounting of the engines, which a single 12" sonotube worked perfectly. This was our last chance to work on the bottom of the craft with any ease. We also cut out the landing gangplank for our alien.
DSC_6290.jpg

Flipped back over and secured all the ribs.
DSC_6295.jpg

At this point I wanted to do a test run of the engines, to insure all our hose and wire routing was in place. It's brief, but enjoy! ;)

This is a close-up of the 1/8 MDF "skin" being applied.
DSC_6298.jpg

The MDF was attached 3/4 of the way. We needed to to a test fit on the angle before the final layer was cut.
DSC_6306.jpg

This was exciting! Seeing the craft in the front yard was really inspirational. It also answered a lot of questions about the crash angle.
DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6311.jpg

Final MDF skin, paint, effects, and a
I hope your enjoying the photos, they always answer so many questions for us "do-it-our-selfer's". :cool:

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
This looks so fantastic!! Totally impressed that you built this thing! Wow --- just wow!!

We did an alien flying saucer crash a few years ago (pics in my albums) but we skipped the whole "build it yourself" aspect and re-purposed two old satellite dishes obtained from a Craig's List poster. All from scratch is "da bomb!" as we oldsters say. Don't think we could have mastered this one - CAD drawings and all!! Sheesh -- way to make us drool! Nice work all around Chef!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to run all the final ducting for the lights and fog machine. I'm using 2 orange CFL in outdoor light fixtures. The fog machine is your basic 400w "el cheapo" model through 1" PVC pipe, schedule 40, about 10ft of pipe total. 1 "T" fitting, 2 "90 degree" fittings, and 1 "45 degree" fitting. I used about 10 zip-ties to hold it all together. If I need to,I can easily cut and remove all the innards.

Here's the photos:
DSC_6303.jpg

DSC_6302.jpg

On to the paint/detail shop....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the craft out into the front yard for our first look.

Here's a cool shot with the fog machine firing. It looked great at night. The darkness helped to hide some of it's imperfections. I think the kids will go crazy.

I shot a quick video of the engines in action.

Next I'd like to work on a small sound track of engine noise to sync with the fog machine and I'd like to make some type of crater impression around the edges without actually destroying my lawn....

·
Registered
84 Posts
VERY Cool!!
To bad you couldn't fins one of those 8 ft satellite dishes from the 70's It could have saved you a bunch of work. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts