Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
That was a great video. I can't wait to see part two. I have been wanting to try some tomb stones. Can you tell me where to find the hot knife and heat gun?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I should have mentioned it in the video. The heat gun can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. Cost can vary depending on which one you buy, but I think this one cost me about $50.00. The hot knife was purchased at Michaels for about $29.00. Mine was in the wood work section. It's actually pretty awesome because it comes with a bunch of screw on attachments that you can use for different projects. It even has a soldering attachment that I have used to make some of my own halloween lights. If you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Part 2 is now up, the link ia below. Part 3 will be next week, and hopefully part 4 (in which we finally build the frame and attach the walls) will be in 2 weeks. Be sure to check it out and please subscribe!

http://youtu.be/z1715tTvh1E

·
Registered
566 Posts
FYI, if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store close to you they have their heat guns on sale many times for around $10.00 and they also have a hot knife. It is usually around $10 as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to add some extras to place around the mausoleum. Using some spare stuff from around the house, I decided to make a spider corpse that wI'll be on the ground next to the tombstones in front of the mausoleum. Framing it and padding it took about 20 minutes. You can check it out at:

https://youtu.be/BvNbWgjTRw8

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't put anything up recently. Work had been vicious the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to get much decorating done. However, I am going to be filming tonight and this weekend so by the end of this week and next week I should have 2 more tutorials up on youtube. The framework for the mausoleum and the painting tutorial. If you are building one yourself, feel free to contact me with any questions. Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for being so patient while I finished more videos. I appreciate all of your emails and positive comments. With that, Part 3 of the Modular Mausoleum is up on YouTube. You can check it out at the link below and if you like the tutorials, please subscribe to our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2h1fbOkm48

·
Registered
738 Posts
FYI, if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store close to you they have their heat guns on sale many times for around $10.00 and they also have a hot knife. It is usually around $10 as well.
Thank goodness for Harbor Freight - seriously, for low-cost tools, they're the only way to go!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20151003_145602[1].jpg

Hey Everyone, so I am about to put up the last two tutorials for the modular mausoleum. This weekend, I will show you how to use PVC pipes to build the frame and how to attach the foam boards. I am also going to show how to cover seam lines and the corners while adding more details to the building. Here is a picture of the completed frame work. As for the door, I am not going to show how to paint this because there is already a fantastic tutorial on how to paint a rusted door on YouTube. This is where I learned to paint a faux rusted metal look, so I have included this link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-AZyIojsY

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to message or email me. 25 days until Halloween!

PS. Sorry the photo is sideways, I couldn't figure out how to turn in and I have to get back to work on the Mausoleum! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Everyone, sorry that it's been so long. We had a family emergency with my son that took up my time for a few weeks. However, we are back now with part 4 of the Modular Mausoleum build. In this video, I will show you how to assemble the framework, attach the foam panels and prepare the door. Make sure to check back next week as we will be showing the final touches and reveal of the completely finished SAMHAIN Mausoleum.

https://youtu.be/Fl0xXcobX2E

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just watched all 4 of the videos thus far and have to give you TONS of credit for not only great craftsmanship, but also PATIENCE! Man, lot of time involved in doing this on the scale you're doing it. Bravo!

One question for you--and maybe this will be answered: when you screw the brackets into the backside of the foam, have you found that sturdy enough to hold up to wind, etc? Or phrased another way, is the PVC structure rigid enough that it's not a problem and any wind/weather buffeting is spread out equally across the surface to not rip it out of the foam?

Can't wait to see the finished product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts