Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have this prop for my asylum scene

But I can't buy it here and online is also no option because the shipping is more then the costs of the prop, so the only option is making it myself.

Does anyone build something like this? And how? I can't use pneumatics but have a wiper motor

Any tips, schematics etc are welcome

·
Registered
330 Posts
My first instinct is to have a lever that pivots the torso up, using counterweights to balance the weight of the torso, reducing the work for the wiper motor to pivot the torso up. Next I picture the wiper motor driving a cam with the torso lever as a cam follower. The profile of the cam determines how quickly the torso sits up, moves around, and then sits back down (if that is the desired action). All this pretty much assumes one has space beneath the body prop for such a mechanism. The motor should have enough torque to drive this. Also, a tension spring/bias will probably be needed to keep the torso lever tightly following the cam, depending on the action you want. There might be a belt/chain drive between the motor and the cam (think bicycle gearing), with the relative gear wheel sizes controlling how fast the action is. I just woke up; hope it makes sense later in the day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I get it, the egg chape or snail chape cam is the way to go, now I have to figure the size out for my wiper motor and motion sensor combo, the sensor has a interval of 15 seconds, I am guessing it will be a big cam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts