Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--I've mentioned in another thread that I'm planning a Ghostbusters theme for this year's party (it being the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters, if you can believe it...)

One of my ideas is to paint the iconic Ghostbusters logo onto a bedsheet that will be hung OUTSIDE somewhere.

My question is: how to best do this on a large scale? And what would be the best kind of paint that would be (relatively) weather resistant (at least for a few weeks outside)?

I don't know if I'll do it on a white or black sheet yet, but any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I actually did all my carnival and concession banners on old bed sheets (see my cirque du Carnevil album)....as for what I did, I just used cheap craft paint, draw out your pattern (do not use marker or pen, no mater how many layers I applied the ink bled through). I got a huge sheet of cardboard and used strait pins to affix it to the cardboard first then just start painting.

As for weather proof, though I'm not sure on craft paint most latex paints once dry are fairly permanent (just ask my hubby and my carpet lol) and I believe that there is an additive to aid craft paint (Donna Dewberry line I believe).

when I was all finished with mine I hit them with a dusting of black spray paint to age them...they looked great :)

And check with hotels for free sheets they discard them pretty regularly.

Good luck, can't wait to see it :)

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
a white plastic shower curtain would be easier to paint on...I was thinking if I were doing a sheet, I would have to spread it out on a sheet of plywood, you could tack the sheet edges down and pull it really tight that way the material wouldnt wrinkle up...craft paint doesnt wash off easily..believe me, I paint with it everyday and my tshirts have been washed a hundred times and they are still covered with the paint!

·
Registered
326 Posts
A lot of people who do murals will project the image onto the wall. If you hung the sheet (or shower curtain, or whatever you decide to use) against a wall or fence, you could project the logo onto it and trace the design on (just painting the color outlines, and filling in later.) You can turn your phone into a projector that I've heard works pretty well: http://content.photojojo.com/diy/turn-your-phone-into-a-photo-projector-for-1/.

As for paint, you could use any acrylic or fabric paint. If you paint on a plastic shower curtain, it may not hold up as well outside. If you paint on fabric, you can heat set the paint, which you do for anything that might get washed (so it will stand up to any unforeseen rain, etc.) Here's a how-to: http://painting.about.com/od/fabricpainting/f/heat-set-fabric-paint-with-iron.htm

Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the ideas, everyone. I've been WAY behind on all of my projects, so this is starting to get some traction. I'll keep you posted on progress and pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts