Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in the planning stages for the new & improved cemetery fence, but I wanted to get y'all's input. I'll be making the ubiquitous PVC "wrought iron" fencing, but was curious. How tall should I make it? I don't want it to be a potential tripping hazard if too short and someone decides to climb over; nor do I want it too tall that it intimidates some of the smaller ToTs. Also, I'm cheap and want to get the most out of my stick of PVC as possible. :D

·
The Haunting Girl
846 Posts
I built a super basic chain fence since I don't have the storage space for big panels. I used conduit (electrical pipe) since it was cheaper than white PVC and cut it down to 3ft 3in pieces (so I got 3 poles out of each pipe). It would have been 3ft 4in, but there is a flare out at one end of conduit so it can connect to another piece without a coupling. I drilled small holes for cup hooks to hold the chain at about the 3ft mark. I painted them black and I was very messy about the paint to give the illusion that they had been painted a few times to cover the rust. I used cheap black plastic chain to hang between the poles. I did have plans for using finials that I bought on clearance, but I didn't have time to add them before last Halloween. It's on my 'to do' list for this year. I faked it out with some Spanish moss stuck in the tops of the poles instead.

My test using pressure pipe (really cheap brittle pipe, not recommended!).

Sorry I was going to add a picture of last year to show the semi-finished product, but I never uploaded them here! They are on my Facebook page, but I'll try to get them uploaded after work.

A lot of people liked the fence. It was enough to keep people out of my yard and the swinging chain in the wind was a nice touch. I like that it gives me flexibility with layout and spacing. I don't have to worry about creating extra panels or panels not being the correct size for the space I need. I move a lot and I rent so the fact that it doesn't take up that much space is great. Set up is super easy too. Just drive some rebar into the ground and place the pole over the rebar, hang chain and you are done. No worry about measuring space and lining up panels or drilling things into place. It doesn't have to be perfect either.

I know it's probably not the style you are looking to do, but I hope it helped!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My fence is 5' tall.

Since PVC pipe comes in 10' sections the long pieces ar 5' and the short ones are 2' 6". That way I could cut all my pieces with no waste. I used 3/4" DWV pipe, that's the thin walled stuff.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
It's been a while but I believe my pvc spindles are cut at 40 inches, plus the finials. You get three spindles from a 10 ft. length of pvc

·
Registered
82 Posts
My fence is 5' tall.

Since PVC pipe comes in 10' sections the long pieces ar 5' and the short ones are 2' 6". That way I could cut all my pieces with no waste. I used 3/4" DWV pipe, that's the thin walled stuff.
what are you using as toppers? And how did you make those towers? Great look!!!!! LOVE it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
what are you using as toppers? And how did you make those towers? Great look!!!!! LOVE it!
The toppers were made by heating the ends of the pipe and flatening them between two pieces of wood. I then sanded them into the flame shape on with a drum sander and painted them with black light paint. The towers are just some 10" Sonotube with a wooden box on each end and then faux painted to look like stone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry no pics but mine varies in height from 29-34 inches plus finials. Looks like a wave on top. I get two 8' fence sections from 7 pieces of 1/2" electrical PVC pipe spaced 8"apart. There are some awesome fences posted!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input, guys! Your fences all look great!

I did some figuring yesterday (and they say algebra never helped anyone!) and discovered I can get 2 42" pieces and 1 36" piece from a single stick, or 2 36" pieces and 1 42" piece with a bit of waste. Since I'm planning on staggering the lengths anyway, I think this very well might work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Nyghthawke
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing