Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you fire up your whole display??

I've had 90% of my stuff outside for the last 3 weeks, and have turned the lights on at night a few times. I figure starting Friday, 25th, I'll start turning the lights on for the next week leading up to the big night. I have 2 props ( Including my Jack-in-the-box) that I will pull out on the big night as I dont wont to give EVERYTHING away. Also I will fire up the 3 fog machines and the rest of the lights and music on the 31st.

What do you do??

Note: Luckily we have very mild weather this time of year and just deal with the occasional wind and rain.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've got all my stuff on now. Not sure why... I'll be saving the fog for the 31st only though. I debated with myself if it was somewhat early. My wife seems to think its fine.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I took this year off, but when I put my up. It goes up Oct 1 and runs the entire month except for fog machines. Also a couple of my strobes I don't run until Halloween because I don't want them burning out from constant use on a nightly basis. Also half of my display is computer animated which can be heard by turning your radio to a designated station in your car. Which is why I run the display for the entire month Now on Halloween I add some special elements to the display just for that night, but other then that everything is going except for a few strobes and the fog machines.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Normally I have everything set up by now, but my daughter (11) decided she wanted to decorate BY HERSELF. I think she stuffed 2 bodies and they're just laying in a pile in the front yard. lol She hasn't posted them yet.

She did a little decorating on the porch. We faught when I wanted to help her and make it scarrier. Ugh. It's just coming along really slowly this year and it's frustrating me. Every day I tell her to finish decorating and every day she doesn't do it. I think I'm going to take the bull by the horns and finish up myself whether she throws a fit or not.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got everything out, with the exception of the Bucky on the front porch, just because who wouldn't be tempted by such a beautiful piece just lying there while the homeowners are at work? I also don't run my fog until "night of".

This weekend I'll be putting together some final touches in preparation, but for the most part we put everything out a week or two ago.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had the graveyard, fences, cobwebs, lighting, big spiders ...etc up since early Oct but the big props (especially those with motors) will go out on the afternoon of the 31st. They have their locations already and all the wiring is set, just place and plug in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the graveyard, fences, cobwebs, lighting, big spiders ...etc up since early Oct but the big props (especially those with motors) will go out on the afternoon of the 31st. They have their locations already and all the wiring is set, just place and plug in.
This sounds like me. Except I took the 31st off to finish the wiring and setting out the new props. Not a whole lot to do that day, but I want to be ready!!:cool:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have put my floods up in the trees, but I have not truned them on. still working on the VSA program. I will not start to set up the props untill the 29th. I dont want any thing to happen to my props.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I started putting my props up slowly. For the whole month of October I'm making most of my props. made three new zombies and new Cemetery sign with pillars. That took most of my time. I'm sure most of you know when you have a kids and and work long hours. Its hard to make time for any thing. lol. But I'm pretty much done. I usually fire up my lights on my props on the last week before Halloween. I'm scared some times to leave out my props because of the people who all ways want what they cant have.. Were I live any thing is fair game. Thieves are every were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since i don't want any props damaged or stolen, i don't setup anything until halloween day and then take it all down that night. Some times i'll setup the grave stones the night before just to get everyone excited on the street.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Because we only bought this house in September, I've mostly been testing light placement and basic visibility. I put the scaffolding and body for one of the scarecrows up a few days ago and the squirrels have been using it for a jungle gym. He's made of corn stalks and they've been digging in him looking for food--the nasty little tree rats. The wife won't let me wrap him in copper wire and hook him to a car battery as rodent deterrent. I've got one tombstone out and I've moved it around the yard to see where the light hits it best and where the shadows of the trees interfere. I stood a pallet on its side where I think I want to place the crypt and have been trying different lights on it to see what throws too much light and what throws too little. I need to meet one of the neighbors across the back fence because I get a lot of light pollution off his rear porch lamp. I might buy him a blue gel for it. I expect to have everything set up no later than about Wed this year. Next year I'll have notes from this year so I can place things correctly easily and I can layout of the cemetery by the 15th. In previous years i've put the scarecrow out as early as the 12th and the graves followed sometime after the 25th. I think I want to have it just appear one morning in a Dark's Pandemonium Circus kind of way. i might even take the pains to mark up my layout and then assemble it in the dark of night.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I like the idea of having it appear like over night, that would be a cool effect and definitely give a "what the F..." effect...LoL. Where it goes from this one lonely scarecrow in the middle of the yard to this huge elaborate cemetery out of no where. Since my display is animated for the most part it goes up Oct 1st and usually running that night or there after. I will add some things for good measure and surprise factor the day of Halloween.

I normally will take my entire display down that night so when people get up the next day or drive by it will kind of be like a bad dream and it never existed. I have this down to a T and stage everything to do this so take down can be quick and easy since I need the entire month of Nov to set up for Christmas. So it is kind of like the reverse of what you want to do with have it pop up over night, where in my case it just disappears and I have had people comment on it before that it was just that, like a bad dream. Also it is a little easier to take down then to put up so that part goes faster too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have my door cover and window cling up, but nothing else is going up until the 31st, though some items may be up temporarily for a test fitting so I can get the lasers aligned before the big day.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Everything goes up the 31st more of a surprise factor. Besides I get nervous about vandels but live in a nice area. A majority of my props involve eletricity so I have to decide at the last minute to run them in my garage or outside weather pending. I always take halloween off for this task...cause it takes some time. The only thing I do have up in the beginning of Oct is my fiber optic displays in the front window and inside decor. I don't want anyone to think that I skipped out this year.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Texan 78-- I like the gone by dawn aspect, too. One thing is it reduces the chances of vandalism by kids from outside our neighborhood and it also puts my props in the garage where i can clean them up, dry them off and pack at my leisure in at least partly sheltered conditions. We sometimes get snow in Oct up here. I figure as i get a larger and larger display every year i'll have to accept the fact that it takes time to do it right and I can't have stuff pop up like mushrooms under the cover of dark. this year is pretty small due to the move--less than 20 tombstones, a pair of scarecrows, a couple obligatory JoLs, and the small crypt. I could easily set up after 9pm and be done --quietly even-- before 11pm, but I plan to double in size next year and then increase by approximately the same amount [1 or 2 large structure/projects, a handful of smaller props] each year until I have the house surrounded and can walk the ToTs in a full circle in a graveyard around the house. I think I'll always save the street edge props until the very last minute for their own protection--just too close to the street and even accidental damage is a bummer. Nobody wants their props bumped by the garbage truck :)
Now if i could only convince the wife to let me blanket the neighborhood in fog while i set up....

·
Banned
524 Posts
That is a good point about the vandalism since a lot a the little creeps like to do a lot of tricking overnight. I never really thought about it like that. Like you I am adding a lot of new elements to the display next season like pneumatics and animatronics. So it might take a little more time to take down. I will have it sorted by next season though and with a lot of helping hands shouldn't take much longer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the 31st falling on a Friday, I may leave stuff up until the 2nd. That way I can invite those who didnt get a chance to stop by on the 31st to come over and take a look. And that way I get to milk it a little bit more! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts