Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are having a disagreement about our haunt (again). She thinks it's too scary for trick-or-treaters. It's the same basic layout as last year which can be seen here...

Halloween 2007 - a set on Flickr

I'm adding the car accident/chemical spill scene that you can see at the end (it was from a previous Halloween). I'm also adding a motion activated tree shaker and air cannon, plus I'm going to try and incorporate Hallowindow somewhere too.

The kids on the street are a mix from very little to ten or twelve. The little ones all come over before dark for a party and then go out trick-or-treating. I'm also going to advertise this year since our neighborhood consists of short streets divided by a major road and I want to get more visitors.

I'd like to get opinions about how far is too far with an extensive yard haunt. The fliers do have a warning about small children but...

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Typically as it goes in my neighborhood, the little ones come while it's still light out.
When it gets dark, it's usually the slightly older crowd that isn't so scared....at least not in a scarred-for-life-get-sued-by-the-parents way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if its too scary, they just will skip your house. I would say if the kids are not knocking, then its too scary. If you are running out of candy, then you can afford to step it up a notch.

I love the red candles, nice effect

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
if its too scary, they just will skip your house.
Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Some parents are total jerks who will push their kids to go up, no matter how horrified they are. As you can't do much about the creepiness of the props, I'd say to just tone down the acting around the youngest children so you don't give them nightmares, or worse.

For the older crowd, scare to your heart's content:cool:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to scaring ToTers, and I think you've got a long way to go before you need to reign it in! I say go for it!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Me personally, we keep our public display PG.
No gore, no body parts (other than skeletons).

I totally agree that there are too many [email protected] parents out there that will drag a too-young child into something that is too scary.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to scaring ToTers, and I think you've got a long way to go before you need to reign it in! I say go for it!

I'm in agreement here. Sorry wife. I loved your pics and yard last year. The candles are a nice different touch. Did you buy them or make them? Seem pretty unique.

Maybe the little ones might shy away a bit from the dog or the GID spirits (very nicely done BTW) but I agree it seemed pretty tame. I'm not into blood or gore or pee-in-your-pants scary for neighborhoods with mixed ages, and was okay with what you did and plan on doing unless you go overboard on the accident.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I think your set-up is gorgeous and not at all too scary. Very nice lighting effects, and I love the GID masks, that part was really awesome!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The truth is, you can't please everyone. I've had parents who wouldn't come into my yard. I don't do gore. Just good music, lighting, and detailed props, with a few animations tossed in...
What I've gotten from kids of all ages is that they love my display and look forward to it each year. I think that using the "candy barometer" is probably spot on.. If you're getting plenty of ToTers then you're doing it right...
If it's not creepy and scary, it ain't halloween.....

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I make the kids cry every year. lol We try not to scare the wee ones too much and give them a personal tour to show them it's fake. If they are over about 8yo then they are fair game.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its HALLOWEEN....break out the chainsaws, and scare the crap out of em!
LOL!

Im always in favor of the scarier the better.
As a kid, my favorite memories of Halloween were the Houses/Haunts that scared me the most.

However each person is different, so what doesnt scare one could terrify another.

I always have 2 different candy stations.
1 at the front of the Haunt (for those that arent brave enough to go all the way) and the other at the front door.

·
Horror off the Highway
1,795 Posts
I love yu haunt, especially the lights! target, you say? I wonder if they have that at any other store?

I don't like tons of gore myself..but everyone had their own idea of what their haunt is like. I say, if you want to make it gorier....go for it!! :D

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife is less worried about gore then she is about surprises. We had severed limbs and heads, decaying dogs, rats, etc. last year and it wasn't really a problem. A few kids were scared but that's not surprising. This year I made the tree shaker and air cannon and that has her a bit worked up.

She may have a point. My daughter and I lured my sister and brother-in-law (separately) into the garage tonight to see our new Halloween stuff. As they walked by I triggered the air cannon and scared the crap out of both of them. That has me wondering about the reaction from a seven year old.

Hmmmmm...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts