Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do people and total strangers ask you this in October?
I hope they ask you this because YOU are having So much FUN! Laughing out loud! Making others scream.(This is when I hear this question)
My "stock" reply: "Want to know how old I am? Just cut off my head, and count the rings!"
I actually got to say this today to a retired US forest management employee !

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mt nightmare is one commonly talked about right here:IT's time to open your haunt, nothing is ready! helpers are already acting like helpless Zombies.
One stops me as I am opening the drawbridge for the first house tour, steps in front of me and begins telling me about some TV show he saw last night!?
"Get out of my WAY!" "Why are you wearing a white wedding dress?" "No, you can't be The Lady-in-White in the wine cellar! you have to lead house tours, I know you can 't walk in that dress go put your own clothes back on-Now!"--Unfortunately this was not a bad dream, this all happened here-once! GRR!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Before I got into decorating my house, I use to dress up in full costume and go trick or treating as an adult, and always got asked "Aren't you a bit old to be trick-or-treating?" I figure no one is "TOO OLD" to trick or treat and will give out candy to anyone "In Costume" who wants to trick or treat our house.

Now that I gone over board on decorating, and end up with over 1000 people at my house on Halloween, I can't leave the premises to trick or treat (so I have to send my kids out to get me candy, but now that they are getting older, they want to stay in the yard and scare people, - trained them well). I start setting up in the beginning of Sept and have never heard anyone tell me "Isn't it too early to setup?". No, the questions, I keep getting are "Where do you keep all this?", "How much more do you have to setup?", "How long does it take you to setup?", "How much is your electric bill for Oct?", and then I always have my returning loyal fans asking "What's new this year?".....

·
Registered
696 Posts
I get asked how long did it take to build all of this..... as they are looking at my yard when it is setup.
Then people ask How I built this and that. Thats cool when people take notice of the props you made.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The question I get the most is, "What's wrong with you?" My replies vary from, "Nothing. What's wrong with you?"
Or break out into a cackling song...

·
Registered
411 Posts
There's an older country song that rings through my mind with this question, and the lyrics are "Old enough to know better, but still too young to care." Youth is wasted on the young. I trick or treated until I was 18, I'll decorate my house to the nines until I no longer find it fun or I'm physically unable. Just because it's associated with childhood doesn't mean Halloween is children exclusive. We can continue to enjoy what we did as children a whole life through, and those who don't like it, well, that's their problem, not mine.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would also have people commonly ask me things like"Are you Crazy?" (And similar statements meant to demean my smarts)
After hearing such idiotic remarks I finally might reply with:"Crazy? " Who" just paid" who" to be in here?" (Followed by an evil laugh)

·
Registered
676 Posts
We don't have people asking how old we are but if they do my wife usually answers "People used to ask me that back in the late 1800's and I couldn't remember then so what makes you think I will remember now?" The big question every year is Where do you store all of this. My reply anymore is. "Well when the Germans occupied the United States in the 40's they built a huge underground bunker in our back yard and it all gets stored in there." I have no idea how many people have looked at me after i say that and ask "You really have a bunker under your back yard?" I usually have to turn and walk away at that time.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HARBOE! A young woman who came through my house from Dubuque (As in "IOWA"!) told me that she once lived in apartment that was on the edge of a big cliff that had been a bunker? All concrete,sort of underground, small and few windows.
She said it seemed to be a very old structure. So far I have not met anyone who can tell me where they might be located?
(Maybe it's one of those German bunkers!?... or not?)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because my Wife and I also live in our haunted house, people ask us if we live here?
"Yes we do."
"Do you sleep in this house?"
"Yes." "Where do you sleep?"
Answer number one:"I sleep in the attic hanging up-side down from a steel hook."
Answer number two (If they didn't like that one):" Oh, All you groupies want to know that!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tend to only get asked this after I have already answered "how long have you been doing this?" because since I look a lot younger than I am the two answers don't seem possible together.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Gothic" You know, doing something that you enjoy doing does tend to keep (At least some part of you) "Young".
I have never smoked, drank or used "Drugs" trying to just maintain my fleeting youth, but a few years ago I began a drawing on a few walls inside my Haunt, illustrating all of the times that I could have been seriously injured or killed.........I could not believe the results of my drawing.. So Many Times I could have died or been crippled severely for life, but I lucked out.
I have never tried professional racing of any kind and sports involving defying gravity I have also avoided like skate Boards, water skiing, snow skiing and pad-less "Flag" football with adults (Boy those bones crack! when they smack together! (No helmets either!) "Donkey" Basketball? Once, I was doing pretty good til the trainer of the animals snuck up behind me and touched my donkey on the leg.. and Jim gets quickly dumped! (On the hard wood basket ball floor!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Age = is a state of mind." says a 52 -year old Paxley :D
I will keep doing more and more each Halloween - because it's FUN !
And after that: people will still talk: do you remember that crazy old Wizard who always
went all nuts at Halloween
? ? !

and my spirit will live on !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Q: " Isn't a little early for Halloween? "
A: " Halloween? "

Q: " How long did it take you to put up all the decorations? "
A: " What decorations? "

And my all-time favorite:

Q: " Halloween is the devil's birthday! You're going to hell! "