Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of purchasing a gorilla costume for Halloween as part of my costume and it costs $65.00. I on the fence on buying it because its a one day thing that I am using it . What are your usual spending amount when you create a costume for Halloween?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
i just spent nearly $150 on an elvis costume, but i don't intend it to be a one-time thing. that's more than i've ever spent though, so that's not exactly my custom.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Costuming is one of my major hobbies, so I spend a lot. The most I've spent putting a costume together was about $1000. But I also get multiple uses out of them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tough call...Depends on what you want.

$65.00 for a nice costume? Heck of a deal if you're after a gorilla.

But I don't do many "one-time" costumes. I tend to keep them, use them for
different things. Or keep it in case I want to be a gorilla again. You never know.

I have my "life-sizers", a whole bunch of them. One of them might like a gorilla.
But I already have one. A white bigfoot.

So...if you can budget a $65.00 gorilla, I would say go for it. You can have that
much fun with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Or you can be an oddball like me and get a costume of a character you love and spend more money updating and modifying it. I've spent more money at Hobby Lobby than anywhere else haha!!

But that's part of the fun if you ask me.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Really depends. One year I wanted to go as an old confederate ghost ala Scooby Doo but period correct frock and rapier etc. I'd be a zombie of course. I never did pull the trigger with a long wait for custom coat.

Last few years I've went as a 16th century Irish Devil with Broad Sword. That costume barefoot is over $300.

This year's Michael Myers Halloween II costume is $110 thus far which is coveralls, mask, knife(price includes shipping from 3 locations.

Why limit it to one night? I'm still waiting on my knife then I head over to the cemetery and scare the crap out of the teenagers! lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have spent a couple hundred dollars on materials for a costume before. However, I and several other people have worn it multiple times for various things. It was a velvet medieval dress. Last year I spend $150 on materials for my families 3 pirate costumes. I had curtains to use as the main fabric so I saved a bunch of money using them. 4 years ago I spent $100 on just the material for an overcoat and vest for my husbands vampire costume. I never buy pre-made costumes but for home made costumes I'll pay whatever it takes to make a nice costume. It's a passion. We always hang on to the costumes and even lend them to friends and family. This year, however, we are going as Wreck-it-Ralph characters and the costumes are tons cheaper. Can't say I don't love that :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I say if it's in your budget, if it's a quality costume and if you really like it...GO FOR IT, you can always EBay it or repurpose it next Halloween :)

Personally my cut off is $50 (and usually i come in at $30 or less) just because our budget, and I always try to reuse a costume by reworking it or by using it as a prop.

F

·
0 Posts
It depends....if it looks like its worth it and i like it, and like how it looks on me...I wouldn't mind spending $$$$.

I want to get a gorgeous dress from the renaissance festival this year...they get pricey but *shrugs*

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
elvis is gonna come in at right around $200 when all the accessories are put together. more than i've ever spent, by roughly double, but TOTALLY worth it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I say, if you have a budget, then try and stay within it. If you can budget the $65 then go for it. Myself, I always pick the costume first then figure out the budget later. As other members posted, there are always ways to re-purpose or reuse costumes; or even sell them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thinking of purchasing a gorilla costume for Halloween as part of my costume and it costs $65.00. I on the fence on buying it because its a one day thing that I am using it . What are your usual spending amount when you create a costume for Halloween?
Every costume varies but I can have costumes cost between the $100 - $300 range. This year I only bought teethe so far and they ran me 60. It all depends on what you want to spend.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the good thing is that is doesn't have to be one time use. I usually "recycle" old costumes into props. My son likes masks, so I usually make his old costumes into props to haunt my house. I made my Creeper fountain out of one of his old costumes on a styrofoam wig head. you can get one of those posable dummies and put your gorilla in a cage. if you wanted to get fancy, you could add some motors and make him bang on his cage in anger :D DSCN1040.jpg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Since I have yet to lose the XX number of pounds, I usually either go cheap and off the rack, or have a custom costume made for my curvaceous curves... The cheapest is the Jester costume that you can buy at almost any shop (but surprisingly nicely made), hunting clothes that I really wear for deer and turkey season (surprisingly expensive, but oh-so worth it for the Cheverly Hillbillies theme), or my custom pirate wench costume. I can't recall who made it, but it's fabulous! It cost me a couple hundred all totaled.

BTW, for us amply-endowed gals, Hips and Curves often has some great costumes! www.hipsandcurves.com And they have some great sales on now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally, I'd say $100 is my absolute limit. However, it depends on what it's for, and how many uses you want out of it. Worse comes to worse, and it's expensive, you can always go to a costume rental, and rent it for a cheaper rate, should they have it.

Most of the costumes I wear/use on Halloween are one timers. The nest day I donate them to a local Haunt to use for next year. I make sure that as long as I'm gonna spend money on it that it gets used by people who could use them when I get done with it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm prepared to pay upwards of $400 for something when I travel to the "Theatre Bizarre" some year. My justification will be that I can wear it to a con. However, $200 is my every year limit from now on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts