Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am suffering from wanting to put everything i have out. I was trying to stick to 1 theme but now i have 3 going on. alien, vampire, and graveyard. How do you know when to stop? I don't want it to be overdecorated but that's how things are shaping up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know...it's all a matter of personal taste. :) I'm sure you could make all three work out just fine. You shouldn't torture yourself over "resisting the urge" when that urge really isn't a bad thing.

Now...and this is my opinion...I am not partial to yard haunts that are jam-packed with props willy-nilly all over the place without an identifyable theme or story, but then again I have occasionally seen this pulled off quite well. It all depends on the person behind the task!

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Spaced apart should be fine IMO even if within sight of each other.

For me too much is never enough... bwahahahahaha. :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Now...and this is my opinion...I am not partial to yard haunts that are jam-packed with props willy-nilly all over the place without an identifyable theme or story, but then again I have occasionally seen this pulled off quite well. It all depends on the person behind the task!
I agree. I've seen (as we all have) yard displays that look like a Spirit Store threw up. No congruent theme or flow, just a bunch of random props. While it's a matter of personal taste, grouping things together in smaller scenes can work well. I used to put out everything we had, but over the years we have started honing in on a particular theme and try to stick to that. Aliens or a toxic waste dump would not work for us, but might for you. Not mixing unrelated props together can help make it easier. The variety can be fun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I prefer to take one theme and just keep makeing it bigger and bigger. My Haunt is The Medical/Mad Scientist theme and I just keep adding. I actually have Jason and Micheal Myers with scrubs on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You know...it's all a matter of personal taste. :) I'm sure you could make all three work out just fine. You shouldn't torture yourself over "resisting the urge" when that urge really isn't a bad thing.

November 1st is the time to stop ;) j/k I agree with thegingerowl. It's all about personal taste and what you think a Halloween yard haunt should be.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
We have mixed EVERYTHING in our haunts over the years, but these have been indoors, in separate rooms. You can go from a Killer Clown to a Mummy to a Crashed UFO to Michael Jackson's bedroom, indoors, no problem. Outdoors, where everything is in site at once, you'd probably be better off to moderate it to one or two separate concepts. Too much stuff would be like having an inflatable Mickey Mouse in a Christmas Nativity Scene. But, hey, I've seen THAT!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im having the same problem. Ive had a haunt with 5 different themes (one for each room) for the last few years so I have a lot of varied props. This year Im not doing a haunt but I am decorating outside. I keep wanting to drag out my haunt props even though I know they dont go with my theme. Ive had to smack my own hands a few times LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts