Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am getting ready to set up the yard (late start I know). I've got lots of stuff, but I am concerned about putting things out just because I have it. In other words, at what point are there too many decorations and things just begin to look cluttered and the overall appearance doesn't work.

I've got a nice big yard and so have room for realistic tombstone placements, but am worried about looking too cluttered.

Love to hear the thoughts and opinions out there.

[edited to change lost to lots]

·
Registered
363 Posts
We got a lot of stuff in our haunt but we separate it all into "mini-themes"

ie:

1. Front yard is grave yard with grave yard associated items.

2. One garage bay is our Vampire room with bats, vamps, etc...

3. Second garage bay is our cave with a flying crank skeleton and bone related items.

4. then we got smaller areas, a lil mad scientist table with parts and pieces, bugs crawling around the house and a spider area.

I guess what I'm getting at is its ok to have a lot of stuff if there is a method to your madness. Give each prop a place and make it look as if its meant to be there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it really is up to your own personal tastes to decide. Personally, I do my props for my own satisfaction as much as for the neighborhood to see. Do what you think looks good.

My own philosophy is you can never have too much, if it's done RIGHT. There's a difference between elaborate and gaudy. You can have 100 props set up "correctly" and have it look beautiful, but you can also have 4 props that look like a disaster. Play around with it, see what you like!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will start to have the same dilemna as more props are built and I spread them out. I don't want them to compete with each other for space or effect and I don't want it all to look like a cluttered mess. So far I don't have the problem since I am on a corner and have 200+ foot of total sidewalk but I will in the years to come given everything I have planned.

The other posts above are correct regarding proper placement and giving each a place that looks like it belongs there.

Nothing is being cemented in place so place your props where you want them to go then step back and see how it looks from across the street. Your perspective may change and you can see where something may need to move back or over some..etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am a less-is-more person, I also like for every year to be very different. Yes, there are re-used props, but I don't want the neighbors to get acustomed to a set idea.

One of our neighbors has an awesome house at Christmas. But. It has been exactly the same for three years now. We still drive by and marvel, but it would be even better to anticpate what changes (even subtle) have been done.

With that, I say save some decor for next season and sorta rotate thru your vast inventory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts