Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am accountant so I love tracking my expenses (weirdo). I really started getting into haunting my front yard 3 years ago. This year in 2014, I have spent just over $1000.00. Last year (2013), $2148, and the first year, $777. I don't dare confess this to friends, so I must confess here - lol So, I thought this would be a good question to throw out there to fellow haunters. Cost includes everything you build or buy.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh God I hate this question. I've been better this year. Around 600. Last year was close to yours this year, around 1000.

Reactions: Countess No

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've never really tracked .. Or admitted it to myself, much less my significant other. ;) I bought 12 poseable skellies last year, a new kind of pricey fog machine, singing pumpkins DVD, projector , lots of lights and god knows what else. Not to mention handing out full sized candy bars to over 400 kiddies. Now I'm looking at all the awesome pumpkin sentinels people have made and thinking I have a perfect place for not really a sentinel, but a scarecrow along the same lines. All of a sudden I'm contemplating a $150.00 Funkin ..that's without the $30 shipping! :eek:

I guess the answer all in all probably comes down to ... Too much! :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
I budget 500 but tend to go over it sometimes :) I agree with Texmaster the question makes me feel like I have a problem since it is the Holiday the most is spent.

·
Registered
629 Posts
How do you quantify too much but not as much as you'd like? As best as I can guestimate it's been somewhere around $700 to $1000 a year. This should decrease over the next several years (yeah, right) mainly because I've run out of storage space. I've just about built all the big/ expensive props I want anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This year I have spent alot less than usual. I bought about 8 LED spotlights from Home Depot to light my haunt better, and my first inflatable, from Lowes. I bought some tombstones, a large pumpkin, a lantern, and an hour glass, from Target. I bought 2 skeleton dogs and a single light from Grandin Road.

I am at about $160 on candy, and am buying some more small treat items from Oriental Trading to give out to the ToTs.

I am going to guess around $800. I have to get my batteries, and some more hay. I pray that is all I am exposed to before Halloween. I have a terrible terrible weakness for pumpkins, witches, and anything that celebrates the season. It is almost an obsession. The other day I was wondering when I will stop wanting to acquire more stuff and be happy with what I have. Has anybody reached that point yet?

My spouse ate at Cracker Barrel the other day, and he point blank told me not to go into Cracker Barrel. He said it in a gentle, pleading voice,so I will take pity on him and stay out of Cracker Barrel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Last year $400. This year so far about $250

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't do a haunt, so for candy, pumpkins and the odd decoration, I'd say between $100-150. We started doing treat bags, which are more expensive, but I think they are fun and I love giving a variety of candy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This year, so far I have spent $700.00 and I made a lot of the items and it still feels like I need so much more to complete the look I want. This is my second year decorating inside my home and first year decorating outside.

·
Registered
600 Posts
makes me feel like I have a problem since it is the Holiday the most is spent.
True story, my husband actually told me I might want to step up my game decorating for Christmas, since my Halloween far out shined it ... That perhaps people were going to start wondering about me. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I seem to never have enough. I spend way over my budget every year between building supplies and props and forget about the lighting.... it's just too much fun!

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
So far, I've spent surprisingly little this year (approx. $120), but 1) still need a few incidental supplies (orange and black plastic tablecloths from DT, etc.), 2) haven't bought any candy yet, and 3) still have my eye on two or three other props -- if the price is right, I may pull the trigger on those.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't keep track of it...and don't really want to admit it to myself! This year was particularly bad because I bought a nice projector (which, to be fair, we have used for many outdoor movie nights). Not to mention, lots of tools/supplies (jigsaw, dremel, PVC cutter, foam boards, drylok, paint, etc) were purchased because this was my first year making some of my own props. I haven't bought the candy yet and that will add up.

This was the first year I didn't have to buy any extra extension cords. It only took me 4 years of outdoor decorating to stock up!

·
Registered
294 Posts
This year it's going to be over a $1000, but we're changing themes . But we need over a thousand pieces of candy, too, so that really adds up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't kept track over the last few years. I would easily say $500-$1000 in past years and that includes candy. This year we are trying to keep it closer to the $500 and less number (including candy). Our main goal is to finish our cemetery fencing. I spent $20 already on some stuff I found at a thrift store. We're going to scout the Spirit store this weekend to see if there is any one MUST HAVE item to add. I would really like to get a projector and an ATMOSPHEREFX DVD but not sure it's going to be in the budget. Although I did spot some projectors for $30-$60 on ebay.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts