Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see how many seasons you use some of your props. I usually re-use my tombstones for many Halloweens but when it comes to other things like my cemetery columns or other larger props I tend to only use them for 2-3 seasons. Sometimes I'll turn them into something else and other times I'll sell them and make room for new props. Just curious on what the average might be for some of you.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I lot of things become other props for me - incorporate them, use parts of them, or simply make make them bigger and better.

Some things, however, sit on the sidelines for a season or two, and make their appearance in another year's display. I've put some real blood and tears into some of these props, so I don't part with them easily.

As for buying? I generally build my own props, so I only buy materials.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad has had some of the same props for at least 15 years or more. We have the cemetery columns and they're made of wood. They're the same ones and they're a bit rotted and warped. Same thing with our grave stones. They're rotted and they have so many screw holes lol. My dad has small fences that are just as old but we didn't use them this year. I actually want to scrap this stuff and start from scrap using styrofoam, wood and monster mud. I made some dead bodies and each year I have to touch them up and repaint and stuff because the Florida weather really gets to it and it ruins it. I use a lot of the same props each year and each year I just collect and make more. It's not a bad idea to remake props after a few seasons but it can be costly. That's when pallets come in handy because they're so cheap. lol

·
Registered
764 Posts
Tombstones you can use forever :) We change our themem every 3-5 years. Use some props over and over. Another one I have been using
for the last 5 years is a home made coffin, lights and audio too. Just change the main theme when we get bored of it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am astounded by people who start over and refresh every year. I have neither the time, the money or the imagination to do that.
I wish I had the money and time...but I also can't see getting rid of something that works. Improve it but don't get rid of it...I think it builds on the tradition to see the old favorites. My Boris skulls were used to tell stupid halloween jokes in 'Dead Men Working' set up. Both skulls stopped working 2 years ago and people still ask about them...

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I use the same basic props for different themes every year. I have a crew of full-sized skeletons, a bistro set, a wooden crate, a half-whiskey barrel, and an old bar stool. Then, I like to make and collect things during the year that fit the new theme. I also have an animated Gemmy Witch who always makes it to the front porch. Lately I have been beefing up my lighting, by adding colored spotlights and various string lights. I also like using my fog machine.

I do have to admit that I have quite a few other props in storage that get rotated in, but not every year.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
I wish I had the money and time...but I also can't see getting rid of something that works. Improve it but don't get rid of it...I think it builds on the tradition to see the old favorites. My Boris skulls were used to tell stupid halloween jokes in 'Dead Men Working' set up. Both skulls stopped working 2 years ago and people still ask about them...
Sometimes I see other forum members that can use my stuff and I just don't want to rent a storage shed, so I sell it. I use that money to buy materials for following year. If I can't sell it, and its a nice piece, I keep it. I also have a couple of fellow haunters that are not on the forum (boo.....) and they will come and buy anything halloween related.
I usually keep the basics: lighting,rebar,pvc,foam, posenstays, pumpkins, costumes/wigs.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We are similar, we typically keep the cemetery the same, we add new things each year, but we do not swap out older stones with newer ones, etc. The walk through rooms change every 3 years, but they are offset to make the work manageable. We try to re-purpose as much as we can, some props need tweaking, redressing, that sort of thing, others will go into storage and come out another season. We have begun planning for 2016, I know I am going to have to re-wallpaper panels for two rooms as we are changing themes. It will mean going through sets, and props to see if they fit the new themes.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
My oldest prop I can think of is a toe pincher from the early 90s...

I don't get rid of anything, I just add every year and move stuff around.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This was my third year with the same props. I keep adding on. I plan to change the theme in 2017 but will keep the current props for later years

·
Registered
18 Posts
we have a cemetery gate and sections of fence that has been in use for 7 years

the fence can go on the inside or the gates can reverse and the fence can go on the outside

some modifications over the years, but built in 1/4 in plywood so very durable

·
Registered
461 Posts
I replace them when they break, rot, or get an upgrade. I try to reuse what ever i can before tossing them out.
I did a scale down once before a move and I do two run through a year.
Once before setting up then again at the end.
I always add something new and change props with the story. Which is why getting a mutli theme prop is important. The main theme prop is generally dismantled and used for something else, since I never had any offers to buy :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
We have many of the classics that go out every year. They get moved around from year to year. But we always add new things each year or upgrade them to enhance them and it is fun to see some kids that have been there for a few years now and they always tell us what is new so it is all good. Next year we are going to revamp the layout and change it up dramatically but it is good for us to do that now. We have come up with new characters we want to put out so we are going to be swapping them out from year to year now to keep it interesting. BUT we do have one character which was the wifes first real character 25 years ago. His name is Wild Bill and if you watch our video he is the big one on the far right if you are looking at the yard. Usually with a bluer light standing with his arms crossed. He is the first one out and the last one in and he keeps an eye on the entire display for the year and keeps all the other characters in line and happy. Yeah that sounds creepy and like we are really strange. BUT IT IS HALLOWEEN and the strangeness always comes out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I dont have many actual props, i have lots of scare items that i rearrange every year plus add too every year. I do now have a facade that i will be using in many years to come in multiple ways though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts