Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering, for those who carve out real pumpkins, how many you plan to have. I love the look of several jacks in our display so we're figuring 8-10 altogether. I may ask our haunt helpers to each bring a carved pumpkin on Halloween just to have a lot of them all over.

Reactions: byondbzr

·
Registered
42,951 Posts
We will carve out about 14. We have five Atlantic Giants we grew this year that will be carved out and the rest will be our Jack o lantern variety. We have them lining our driveway Halloween night, the TOT's walk up through the lighted pumpkins. The giants get the most attention especially!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I carve all the pumpkins I amass during the month of October, lol. I have 6 large and two small right now. That will change, lol. Also, have lots of fun shaped gourds that I will include in some of the carving designs.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I've only bought one so far but if I feel like carving more I'll go out and get them a few days before Halloween. Some years I feel like carving a bunch, other years not so much so we'll just wait and see. The good news is they're cheap and plentiful this year!

Reactions: jdubbya

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only bought one so far but if I feel like carving more I'll go out and get them a few days before Halloween. Some years I feel like carving a bunch, other years not so much so we'll just wait and see. The good news is they're cheap and plentiful this year!
We've noticed the same. The crop is really good this year and niced sized ones can be had for a reasonable cost.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We already 2 . By Halloween we'll probably will have carved a dozen

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We already 2 . By Halloween we'll probably will have carved a dozen
Do you have them carved already? Just wondering as I see some carved pumpkins here and there already but can't imagine them lasting long. We normally wait until a day or two before to carve ours.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Between 6 and 10. NOTHING sets atmosphere like Jack O' Lanterns.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Carve only one - but I'm usually the designated "scooper" for all of them, usually 6-10. We have our haunt actors carve pumpkins before the night during practice and place them out in the yard display. It was heartbreaking last year as two of them never had carved a pumpkin before! So glad I could have them experience it for the first time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My girls painted 2 yesterday at a birthday party, and we have 4 that survived our pumpkin patch. I'll probably carve 2, and the girls will carve 2. The ones we have are on the small side, so I'll probably grab a couple more larger ones, maybe get some different varieties - I'm partial to the white ones. I also have a carvable foam one and 4 plastic jacks, so we'll probably have 10- 12 pumpkins on display on the day.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have 7 here but won't carve them until the day of Halloween. They really degrade quickly here. If I'm lucky I will get my husband and neighbor to help me carve a couple.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Last year my kids and I carved 32. This year we already have 41 to carve. I'm hoping to do 30 of them and the kids will carve the rest. I'll start on the Thursday before Halloween and carve all day for 4 straight days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't use real pumpkins as we live in Florida and they degrade fast! I tried one last year and it lasted one day before molding :( I do add foam pumpkins every year. I've done 7 and have another 9 to go for this year to add to the other 16 I already have (some foam, some plastic).

·
Registered
722 Posts
I usually do just one or two. It may not seem like much, but I'm really the only one who carves them so it can be a lot of work depending on the pumpkin. They're pretty good sizes and have traditional JoL faces (nothing too fancy: triangle eyes, zigzag mouth, etc). I'd love to do more, but 1-2 is find with me.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
Real pumpkins? Zero. I'll buy those crazy ones, the blue ones, the ones that look diseased, ones with crazy shapes, etc. to sit around but I don't carve real ones any more.

Fake ones, I've got about 10-15 of those to carve.

·
Registered
456 Posts
We try to carve 2 or 3 real ones. We tried to grow some but that was a journey lol. We did evrything we thought we should have and they died. Then we just tossed out some seeds, left them to their own devices and they took off. Our jol pumpkins didn't grow, but the pie pumpkins are doing ok. We might have a couple to make pies or pumpkin butter with. We have 6 craft pumpkins carved, and 4 more waiting to be carved. Michaels had a really good sale on them a few weeks ago. I really like carving the craft ones, but it just isn't proper Halloween with out a couple natural ones.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We carve one each so we usually end up with 5, but some years we do more if we find some cool ones. We go and pick them out at a pumpkin patch a few miles away and they'll sometimes have some really unusual ones.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Do you have them carved already? Just wondering as I see some carved pumpkins here and there already but can't imagine them lasting long. We normally wait until a day or two before to carve ours.
Yeah, carved and in the compost bin already. Lol they usually last a week.

Reactions: jdubbya
1 - 20 of 23 Posts