Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those "purists" that still carve real pumpkins, how many do you think you'll carve out this year? We normally do between 8-10. Plan to go out next week and pick a few nice ones.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I will only do somewhere between 2-4, only because it takes me around 4-8 hours per pumpkin to do depending on what I carve into it. I dont carve a traditional pumpkin like most people or use a template, I sculpt them. I have some pics of some that I have done in the past in my profile if you want to see them..

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
We normally do 3. One large one for in front of the house and two smaller ones for under the party tent :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think this year I'm only doing 3. I have 2 oranges & a white one. I'm still looking for one of those warty green ones that were out a few years ago. I'm going to try making a pumpkin totem pole with some rebar.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My theme this year is going to be Scarecrows and Zombies. I have created three (3) cornfield Scarecrows as well as a pumpkinrot. Pumpkins will go particularly well with this them so I will have quite a few, probably a dozen.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I have 15 ordered from my local farm shop..various sizes and colours.
My daughter is home for Halloween this year, so she will probably bring one or two along with her, and my scareactors usually provide a few, too.

One can never have too many pumpkins.:):)

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
We picked up ours at the local farm we go to every year (pics of the trip in my profile) and we will carve 8 this season. Halloween without the smell of fresh carved jack o'lanterns just wouldn't be the same.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like to paint my pumpkins more than carve them. Maybe, it's because they go bad sooner if you are carve them.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I currently have two large ones sitting on my hearth so I guess I'll do at least two. I don't know though, sometimes I get all Linus-y and don't want to carve them up - they're so pretty!
Weird, I know... what else is new?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I plan on doing one... but I always end up doing at least one more-- usually a "traditional" style pumpkin.

I also sculpt my pumpkins. Depending on the detail and what tools you use, it can take HOURS to get it looking okay.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Usually two or three.

There are certain things that ya just gotta do at Halloween, one of which is at least one real Jack O' Lantern, carved from a real pumpkin, with leering triangular eyes and a jagged mouth, and a candle inside slightly scorching the meat.

The only substitute is a carved turnip, and I may do one of each this year.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
.....There are certain things that ya just gotta do at Halloween, one of which is at least one real Jack O' Lantern, carved from a real pumpkin, with leering triangular eyes and a jagged mouth, and a candle inside slightly scorching the meat....
Most wholeheartedly agreed, Sir.... That scent is Halloween.
:)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I'm planning to carve a couple. Also carve and paint a white one. And this weekend will be the first attempt at making a mâché pumpkin.
Two posts and making a paper mache pumpkin.

The Ghoul is strong in this one...

·
Registered
42,951 Posts
My hubby & I carve around 14, do alot of the stencil carvings. We line our driveway with them Halloween night and have everybody walk the lighted pumpkin path to the house.

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
We picked up ours at the local farm we go to every year (pics of the trip in my profile) and we will carve 8 this season. Halloween without the smell of fresh carved jack o'lanterns just wouldn't be the same.
I wholeheartedly agree with Baron and Johnny, the smell of a burning pumpkin is so very Halloween. We also do about 8 pumpkins, it takes a bit of time to carve them all so I have always completed them the last 3 nights before Halloween and set them out in the cool air to keep. This has always worked out well but the last few years there have been some rogue squirrels who have acquired a taste for pumpkin flesh...lol

This year I will store them outside where it is cool but in my shed until the big night. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Better be more than 10!!! I'm going out to the farms this weekend to start collecting them. I get a lot of help though :) I get everyone at the office to carve at least one (luckily will be on Friday...for a prize), and I have lots of nephews and a niece to help with the rest on halloween. It's a big venue....we need lots and lots of jack-o-lanterns....probably one of my alltime favorite things about halloween!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts