Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to folks on the forum I am now the proud owner of the harvester prop. Well as it is Halloween everyday at my house I assembled to prop and checked out how it works and basically just had fun with it. Well I left it assembled and placed it in a stand in a spare bedroom to scare my sister in law with. Well karma bit me. I walked in the bedroom and missed the light switch while bumping the harvester. Needless to say it activates, so here I am in the dark face to face with glowing eyes and that laugh. Well while trying to maintain control of my bladder,scream like a teenage girl and ttrip over a book shelf knocking over a bunch of candles I thought what in the name of all things holy has come to claim me. It was then I remembered. The Harvester, in going to bed. Oh yeah Karma, I hate you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I recently got my first skeleton and at the moment it is sitting on the sofa. I plan on making it into a fortune teller so I was trying on scarves on it and left one draped over it's shoulders and head. Later in the day I walked by it and nearly had a heart attack because from behind it looks like someone was sitting there. I took the scarf off of it. :D

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I've had props set up and gotten up in the middle of the night and forgotten they were there and saw their shape thinking someone was standing there...well there is that scare factor going on! Also jumped a couple of times when a prop triggered unexpectedly. The ones in boxes where you forget to take the battery out that suddenly come alive or move in the box. But when props get triggered by a light sensor and you hear a voice in another room...now that one gets the heart racing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Last year I made a tomato cage ghost and she's probably about 5 feet tall. I wasn't putting her out until Halloween night but she was assembled and standing in my side room. The room didn't have a door so every time I'd walk by the room out of the corner of my eye I'd see a human shape and freak myself out. First time I've done that. Kinda felt like a rite of passage :D

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,721 Posts
I have a gemmy mummy that we set up a few weeks before the party just because. He's motion activated and I forget every year to turn him off. So at some point during the night when I get up to go get a drink or go to the bathroom, I pass by and he starts singing or muffledly asking for help... I shriek every darn time!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wife bought an alien mask and cape combo. She placed it on a dress form she has in our basement TV room which is where my computer is. Went down there the night she placed it there and turned the light on over my desk. Turned around to grab something and THERE IT WAS! I dont get spooked very often but that one freaked me out as i was face to face with it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've been working on the barn haunt since sometime in mid March. The barn has about 70 large windows covered in plastic . The slightest wind causes them to snap and rattle randomly. Coupled with an occasional stray pigeon lost in the maze and the opportunities for creep outs and scares are plentiful. No wet pants yet but the farther along it gets the creepier it becomes. Hate to say it but I wouldn't walk through alone in the dark. Who know what comes out at night.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I haven't made any life-size props lately, but when I have, I have spooked myself with them. :)

I scared myself with a thunder and lightning machine, too. I guess I left it turned on, because I thought it was broken. Then I walked by it again, and it went off in the garage and made me jump! It was hilarious, probably the best scare that little thing has ever gotten!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My DH's sister & brother-in-law used to host big Halloween parties when their kids were younger, so they have a good amount of props. Since they don't host their party anymore & don't use them all, my DH likes to borrow a few the night of Halloween. He'll go get them a couple days in advance, and we often put them wherever we have room in the house or garage until we set them up on Halloween day.

This is not my video, but one of the props is Donna the Dead by Gemmy -

I had seen her before, but one year, DH drove over to his sister's late at night to go into their garage & get a few props - I was already in bed. He had put Donna in our front room. I came downstairs in the morning, saw her & literally fell down the few remaining steps! She scared me so badly! She wasn't on or anything - I just thought a person was unexpectedly in our house!

I made him move her to the garage. Problem solved, right? :rolleyes:

Nope! We have a freezer in our garage. That day or a day later, I went into the garage to get something from the freezer & she got me again! I screamed & DH came running. I said - take her out to the back shed now & never bring her in the house again! LOL!

She is actually the only prop we sometimes display that I give a wide berth to. I find her incredibly creepy & I think she enjoys spooking me out! Each year I fear my sister-in-law will tell us just to keep her (instead of giving her back), and then she'll be in my back shed all the time & it'll be weird to go in there too.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Living in a haunted,haunted house I am ready 99% of the time for something to happen. We are very good at keeping the house locked up because there are some nutcases out there who might like to destroy this place (and us too because we live here)
The really maddening thing is it's a small town and everybody thinks they are extremely safe here.
My Wife (who is not from here)got very rightfully upset when the Sherriff's dispatcher laughed at her on the phone and said, "Well you live in a haunted house!"
She thought someone was lurking in out tiny backyard, guess what? There was! Some vagrant they later caught.
When a former friend and employee threatened to kill me (Because I told him to Not make a huge pile of cat food next to my house) I told my Mother about him and my Wife. My Mother told me to tell the Police. I told her:"They will just laugh at me." A few days later I told the police. They laughed at me.
The former friend had just lost his Brother, lost his Mother (who provided him with $ to live on, he was getting kicked out the house he had lived in for 15 years, he was getting evicted from his business place, I think he was at that point of violence to somebody, and i might have been that "Somebody?'
I figured if I just stayed at least 20 feet away from him , he probably couldn't hit me with his snub-nose 38, which he always carried under his car seat.

At one time I might have been startled by something, a display here , but when items turn on and off by themselves, and door knobs turn by themselves , you hear a woman screaming behind the door in the next room at 2AM (the house was all locked up. A very quiet Summer night ) Well I might not scare too easy, but thank very much to those who posted their very personal , silly experiences, they made my day!
I have noticed that if we hire a person who tells us they are scared of Werewolves, they come dressed as a werewolf ! Then a true scare happens when they walk passed a mirror! (Same for "Clowns", Zombies"...)

·
Registered
239 Posts
When we build our walkthrough starting around the end of July and have a section with the walls painted black it gets pretty dark in there. I have forgotten things in the "haunted halls" that I need for some reason at night and I'll have to go find it. I know the possessed wall hanging girl is at the end of the darkest hall in there so I take a deep breath (try not to act nervous at all) and calmly walk by her. What I forgot was that we had turned her on. She goes off right next to my face, I scream, slam into the wall behind me and run down the next hall, straight into the twitching banshee. I just have to say, its good to know how effective things will be. That was last year. I'm sad to say we are taking this year off.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
hahaha i love this........the girl in black from grandian road , i cant remember her name, i put her everywhere right about now and forget where i stash her i the house and scare the crap out of myself...kids now are in college or in apts and im here by myself during the week and honestly creep myself out with the indoor stuff. i go upstairs at night and dont go back down and if the cats get silly, everyones on their own man..................

1 - 20 of 41 Posts