Halloween Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
10k is a small town!? I just moved from a town of 400 people and we got just over 30 ToT's both years we lived there, this year we'll get zero, and any future years while we're in this house because we live in a tiny tiny neighborhood that is out of the way, no one comes up here for Halloween. I'll still decorate a little bit for myself and to piss my landlord off though lol.
If I lived in an out of the way place, I'd find a friend in the way and haunt the friend's place instead. They cover the candy and electric bills, I provide the scares. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure about adults because I keep an approximate count based on how many treat bags I make. Last year it was pouring and we got 130ish, nice weather is usually 150-175ish.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Last year, I got 25 to 30 kids, which is better than the people up the street who got 2. Most of my neighborhood doesn't participate. In fact, I'm the only one on my block, and the rest of the street looks dark, plus the sidewalk ends at my house. Fog lit by red lights helps attract what few kids are around.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,642 Posts
Around 500, based on candy bars we hand out. Factor in adults who go through the haunt and it's over 650

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depending on weather between 50-120. I'm curious about this year. Most of our neighborhood is elderly and does not participate in halloween at all. Though we've noticed several families move in this years and lots of kids out in the street that we don't recognize. Fingers crossed for the highest turnout this year!

Those of you with 500-1000 tots...you're my hero

·
Registered
9 Posts
We live in Okla City in a 100 year + neighborhood and everyone does it big here. We handed out 2900 pieces of candy one piece to one kid at a time. Last year (2013) we counted the quantities of candy in each bag (and we are talking the the cheap stuff at walmart). We had approx 100 pieces left. Including myself, we had six people helping - taking breaks. It is 3 and half hours of hard work. People we tell do not believe us, but it is true. It is something to see. With parents, it is well over 3000 people. People all over OKC drive to our neighborhood to trick or treat. The picture below is shows a bit of the chaos:
DSC00819.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
We live in Okla City in a 100 year + neighborhood and everyone does it big here. We handed out 2900 pieces of candy one piece to one kid at a time. Last year (2013) we counted the quantities of candy in each bag (and we are talking the the cheap stuff at walmart). We had approx 100 pieces left. Including myself, we had six people helping - taking breaks. It is 3 and half hours of hard work. People we tell do not believe us, but it is true. It is something to see. With parents, it is well over 3000 people. People all over OKC drive to our neighborhood to trick or treat. The picture below is shows a bit of the chaos:
View attachment 219508
And that's dedication!!

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
We live in a large city, but never have huge crowds since we live in a Subdivision. It varies by year, but since HW is FINALLY on a Friday again, I expect big numbers.

I would anticipate about 100 kids or so before we shut down prior to the un-costumed 16 year olds arriving.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Damn mpalmer821, we need to get together. Are you north, south, east or west? I'm south, in the OCCC area.

I'm in Oklahoma City too. I give out a small candy bar, a sucker, and a toy. I try to keep it about .50 per tot. We count the toys, so we will know how many tots we get. Last year the toy was little pumpkins, and we bought 800. We ran out of pumpkins, about 8:00 and still kept passing out candy until 9;30. So I know last year we had over 900. This year with Halloween on a Friday night, I bought 15,000 led rings. I'm thinking we will probably get about 12,000. toters. A lot will depend on the weather. Even with keeping the treat/candy at about .50, with 12,000 toters, that's $600 just for passing out. Not including money for props every year. But I do it because I love the holiday and the kids. I tell my husband I don't smoke, drink or gamble, so this is what I do with the money I save. lol A good argument, but he doesn't buy it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two years ago we had 118 and last year we had over 160. considering it falls on Friday this year and word of our haunt is spreading we should break 200 this year.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
View attachment 219508
So... it's like a door-to-door version of trunk or treat? :D

My neighborhood, we get a lot of people coming around from other neighborhoods. Last year, I went through about 400 pieces of candy, each kid getting one at a time.

To reduce your insane work load, try to figure out a way to make trick or treating more interactive for the kids. They think it is the greatest thing in the world and you con them into doing the work.

Last year I stuck a pose'n'stay skeleton in a coffin and stuffed the rib cage with candy. I encouraged the kids with "take a piece if you dare!" and I did not have to hand out a single piece of candy. I just kicked back, relaxed, and conned the kids into doing all the work. They were totally scammed and thought it was the greatest thing on earth!

EDIT: Also, even though the kids were taking the candy, every last one only took a single piece. There was no greedy grabbing a handful as so many of us have experienced in the past.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Damn mpalmer821, we need to get together. Are you north, south, east or west? I'm south, in the OCCC area.

I'm in Oklahoma City too. I give out a small candy bar, a sucker, and a toy. I try to keep it about .50 per tot. We count the toys, so we will know how many tots we get. Last year the toy was little pumpkins, and we bought 800. We ran out of pumpkins, about 8:00 and still kept passing out candy until 9;30. So I know last year we had over 900. This year with Halloween on a Friday night, I bought 15,000 led rings. I'm thinking we will probably get about 12,000. toters. A lot will depend on the weather. Even with keeping the treat/candy at about .50, with 12,000 toters, that's $600 just for passing out. Not including money for props every year. But I do it because I love the holiday and the kids. I tell my husband I don't smoke, drink or gamble, so this is what I do with the money I save. lol A good argument, but he doesn't buy it.
Just tell him the cost of your addiction doesn't escalate with drug tolerance the way most other addictions do. You get your high at a fairly fixed cost every year. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
10k is a small town!? I just moved from a town of 400 people and we got just over 30 ToT's both years we lived there, this year we'll get zero, and any future years while we're in this house because we live in a tiny tiny neighborhood that is out of the way, no one comes up here for Halloween. I'll still decorate a little bit for myself and to piss my landlord off though lol.
Small and large are relative terms. I grew up in a metropolis of millions, so the city of 35k that I live in is a very small town comparitively. That said I have since lived in a place so tiny it was one stop light, a bar, a convenience store and a post office outlet that only did general delivery. Maybe 100 people total?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't know how many kids. We don't haunt just for them, we do it for everybody and kids, teenagers, and the adults seem to love it. The parents come with their kids to see what we've done. At least half kids, maybe?

Small town, about 3500 people. I don't know exactly how many people, but I know in the past we've had 350+ (10% draw not too bad!) and I expect a lot this year being that it's Friday. Since I'm also volunteering on the weekends, I'll be interested to see what those numbers look like.

Haunt and they will come. I'm pretty happy with the level we're at right now, just enough to keep busy but not so much we need to do crowd control.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts