Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TOT's are getting quite young. All of my past crew has grown up and moved on. My collection of props was very creepy and meant to scare. Last year I must have made 15 TOT's cry.
This year I spent some time and money re-thinking and re-propping the yard. I had one path for the little people and one for the scare. It worked out great and I only made one child cry the entire night.
Most of the new things were glorified music boxes, but it worked out well. People took their time taking their kids to each display and allowing them to listen to the songs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As far as I know, none of my ToT's has ever cried. I don't employ any jump-scares or loud sounds. Everything's static. I think visually I do creepy decently, but nothing's moving or anything to send kids away screaming. I'm not trying to torment them or scar them with gory depictions. I want them to go away having the same blissful memories of Trick-'r-Treating that I experienced when I was a ToT myself (eons ago). 🦇

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have very few ToTs but yeah, there are always a couple that cry. It's mostly the really young kids. They're usually fine until they get to the front stairs and our grave crawler gets motion triggered lol. Then this year we had walkthroughs and as much as I warned some parents, they insisted that their kids would be fine. Had at least two families run out of the house with crying kids.

There was this one little girl that was pretty impressive though. 4 years old and she absolutely loved every inch of the house. So much that she came back a little later with her grandmother and gave her the tour herself, lol. So cute :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know that I make any cry, but there are a fair number that are afraid to come up to the door and my daughter has to go to the street to give them candy. That's fine with me.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I try not to make kids cry. I really can't think of any that have cried over my decor. I do have a few animated props but none that are super scary or gory. Children of all ages have loved my set up. None that I have heard have found it lame or too over the top scary. I try and do spooky with a touch of humor. I have only had one kid who would not come into my yard. I do plan on adding a couple of startle scares to my set up, but nothing really over the top scary. One will be a monster in the box type prop and the other will be a lunging prop. They will be set off with a sensor. I just don't like the idea of traumatizing anyone who comes to my yard for a treat.

Now an actual haunted house is a whole different story. There is where over the top scary or some gore is perfect. People who go to haunted houses go with the expectation of being scared and grossed out. They are more prepared to have scary monsters chase them, or pop out at them or to see some blood and guts. Folks would be more likely to feel let down if they didn't scream and jump and darn near pee themselves more than a few times going through a haunted house. Being scared senseless is the treat when it comes to haunted houses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We always have a few that cry. But it's nothing we do intentionally to make em cry. We don't chase or scream at em 😂 Just a reaction they have and it doesn't help when the parents try to take their arm and get em to come closer to go get the candy. Usually that just makes it worse and the parents just laugh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
492 Posts
In 3 years at this house, only one and it was this year. I felt bad but I honestly didn't think anything was that scary. It didn't help that she triggered the hedge monster on her way out. I may redesign for next year but I did have a Beware! sign 😆

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice work @Russell The wheel chair skelli is great, but I really loved the coffin and bin props, especially when the TOTs jumped back from one, only to be 'got' by the other one. :ROFLMAO:

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Actual crying? Maybe like 1 or 2 a year if I'm lucky. We only get around 50 ToTs. I do have one kid that we learned won't come up to our door anymore after one year he got scared pretty badly. His parents practically had to drag him onto the end of the walkway so he wasn't standing in the street while his parents came up for candy. I don't think the yard is that scary, but everyone is different.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was pretty sure the Beetlejuice snake we had popping out at TOTs would get some tears, (and did) but this is the second year in a row I've noticed that when the "show" gets cued and there is simply a sound cue and lights going out, that kids make a b-line for the street. "NO GO BACK, that's NOT EVEN the scary part!?" 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
20 Posts
My TOT's are getting quite young. All of my past crew has grown up and moved on. My collection of props was very creepy and meant to scare. Last year I must have made 15 TOT's cry.
This year I spent some time and money re-thinking and re-propping the yard. I had one path for the little people and one for the scare. It worked out great and I only made one child cry the entire night.
Most of the new things were glorified music boxes, but it worked out well. People took their time taking their kids to each display and allowing them to listen to the songs.
We didn't make any cry, but I stay out near the entrance while my wife is in the witch's lair handing out the candy. I greet and tease everyone on the way in, but you always have one or two young ones too intimidated to go in. I keep a couple of bags of candy on me for the ones that don't want to go in. The percent of ToTs that won't enter is surprising low, one or two out of 350-400 kids.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I usually get one or two, but my favorite ToT is a young man (10 years old or so?) with special needs. He doesn't cry, but he does get a little scared and he says "Oh, that's scary! I don't like that! Why did you do that? What is that? It's scary!" for the multiple times that he comes to my house. His parents assure me that it's his highest compliment and that he starts talking about my house in early September.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts