Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try and attend at least 2 or 3 during the season but the last 3 years, I'm lucky if I attend only 1. How about you guys? How many haunted houses will you go to this year?

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
That would be a big round zero for me! While I appreciate that they exist and help keep the Halloween spirit alive, they just aren't my thing. I'm more of a spooky creepy atmosphere type rather than an in-your-face gore and chainsaw type.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,301 Posts
i'll make at least one unless some emergency changes plans, but that'll likely be the only one i make this year. a typical year is one or at most two.

·
Registered
185 Posts
0, I love the idea, but most don't really scare or startle me. Those that do... well I tend to fight instead of flight and I have hurt a an actor before. Felt like complete crap and decided to stop going. Love that they still exist though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Usually 2-3. Just did House of Torment in Austin...which never disappoints. Next up is Howl-O-Scream at Seaworld, followed by Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando. :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Another anti-gore/chainsaw vote here... so that would be none for me. Although sorely tempted, the idea of young people dressing up and jumping out at me doesn't hold much appeal. If it were more visual - prop/projections/vortex tunnel and less an army or teenagers jumping out screaming "Boo!", I might go.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,301 Posts
Another anti-gore/chainsaw vote here... so that would be none for me. Although sorely tempted, the idea of young people dressing up and jumping out at me doesn't hold much appeal. If it were more visual - prop/projections/vortex tunnel and less an army or teenagers jumping out screaming "Boo!", I might go.
the good ones will have more of what you're looking for, i think. i don't have great advice on how to find the good ones, but i've been to my share of haunted attractions that were fairly light on gore and more geared toward genuinely scary things.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks, dane82. I usually go to the attraction's website and then look at some YouTube videos before deciding. I was tempted by both Pittsburgh's ScareHouse/100 Acre Woods and Canfield, Ohio's Haunted Hayride/House. Both had some nice props... but seemed overrun with shouting young folk in the YouTube videos.

lol - Guess I'm more of a Disney Haunted mansion type! :eek:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
As much as I LOVELOVELOVE Halloween & horror movies, the only haunted house I've ever been in was The Haunted Mansion on spring break in 1985.

I've never been in local or scary, commercial haunted house. I don't know why except usually I'm busy on these October weekends inside & outside with fall cleaning up & bringing in plants, etc. & doing my own junk for the big day.

I'm also afraid I'd spend all the time in it trying to figure out how they did it & what they did it with!!

I may get to one eventually since there's several that are good & close but if I don't ever get around to it, that's OK too.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Ex suggested I fly to Myrtle Beach, because I was invited, I did, I saw a few haunts there. It was educational.(maybe 20 years ago? )
I have my house open every night of the year and have had it open like this for many y ears, but I used to ask people as they exited my house what they had seen or experienced in other haunts that impressed them or scared them?
I am very sorry to report, those "reports" were not usually very positive. I was told a few things that may have been supplemented by the patron's imagination, or maybe not? But if the haunt got their imagination fired-up and over-working itself, I see that as a good thing, and should be a desired part of everyone's Haunt.
The customer report that it was just a bunch of "Kids" screaming in their face, and the ticket was $35.00 sounded grim, but then the patron said:"I just keep going back every year, hoping that it will get better." ("???")
I guess some people are very bird-like, they just keep mindlessly flying back, dumping their cash in the same pay-toilet?
"Good Bird! Good Bird!"
I have always really tried to entertain those who may decide grace me with their terrific compliments, you work for compliments, the financial rewards will willingly follow.
But in the haunted house field.. what ever 'works",,,"Works"/

·
Registered
448 Posts
3-4 typically. Did Nightmare New England last night, followed by Hysteria Danvers this weekend, Fright Kingdom the next, and then I also attend a "Fright Before Christmas" Krampus theme haunt again hosted by Fright Kingdom in mid December!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am not sure how people would classify Universal Halloween Horror nights or Knotts Scary farms. But, each one of the parks contain 7+ haunted houses each.
So, based on that I was lucky enough to be able to hit up 14 or more haunted houses in a couple of evenings this year. I would say that I am agreement with Gym on the education. Even if the standard haunted house is not your thing, you can walk away with so many ideas to incorporate in your own home haunt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Perhaps one every few years. Some of the places don't switch it up enough, and I don't want to exhaust all my options in one go.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I don't "Switch it up", I just keep adding more! But I am confident that the majority of my patrons can not possibly remember even a fraction of this house.
Even my wife who has been with me for 16 years (and we live in the haunt) will still ask:"Is that something new?"
"No, that has been there for 20 years!"
I have a few little things that are new for this season that seem to work very well to scare most people then they usually laugh right after the scare, just the most successful formula, I tend to believe. Everybody goes home "Happy"!
("And returns "HAPPY", instead of seeking vengeance! )

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Just 2. We're so booked up with weekend events it leaves little time to do everything. Plus the cost gets to be a bit much.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Zero.

I tend to have a not so nice auto response to jump scares and being grabbed as my fight or flight is all fight. The one time I went to a HH when I was much younger I stomped on someone's wrist for grabbing my ankle and punched someone who jumped out at us. I apologized as I didn't realize I was going to react like that. First and last one I went to. Just not my thing.

If I found one that was all ambience and subtle stuff I'd go every week.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The bigger name attractions have a lot to offer, but the price becomes prohibitive if you're on a budget (the same can go for other amusement- type attractions). $20 to $30 per person for a hayride alone. Of course buying a combo pass gets you in all, but even for a couple it can hit close to a $100 rather quickly if you throw in a plate of hot dogs and nachos, and wash it all down with apple cider. Our son is in the military and we go on the night they give family discounts, so it saves a lot, but not all haunts offer this. I would strongly suggest going during the week if the attraction is open. We've never gone on a weekend, and the larger haunts can be mobbed. Also, don't discount going on a Sunday night when it will taper off.

We've already gone to small, local haunts, and I appreciate them as people volunteer and it mostly goes to charity, but you can expect the youth screaming at the top of their lungs at these. One of them had a young girl, and that's literally what she did as we walked through the room; screamed ear-piercingly the entire time. That's a good way to ruin your vocals chords, to be honest. The haunt industry has become huge, and in my opinion largely geared to the teens and 20 something crowd. The zombie runs look fun, but again, mostly for the younger crowd. You would think they can't go too much higher in price or the people in that age group just won't be able to afford them. I don't think it has reached that point yet, because the industry still seems to be growing, partly due to THE WALKING DEAD and the zombie popularity. I won't give credit to the success of the horror movies that Hollywood comes out with...but then, I'm a classic horror and sci-fi fan myself. We usually go to Bates, which is really good, and a local hayride or so. I enjoy seeing the creativity of the haunts, but mostly watch them on TV specials. ;) Still, nothing matches the intensity of being there in person and walking through.

·
Registered
553 Posts
As much as I LOVELOVELOVE Halloween & horror movies, the only haunted house I've ever been in was The Haunted Mansion on spring break in 1985.

I've never been in local or scary, commercial haunted house. I don't know why except usually I'm busy on these October weekends inside & outside with fall cleaning up & bringing in plants, etc. & doing my own junk for the big day.

I'm also afraid I'd spend all the time in it trying to figure out how they did it & what they did it with!!

I may get to one eventually since there's several that are good & close but if I don't ever get around to it, that's OK too.
Darkwood Manor in Luray, Shocktober in Leesburg, and Markoff's are all worth it. I have hit all three this year already.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I looovvveeee haunts!!! I cant go to any this year, baby and all BUT when I wasnt preg...the skys the limit. One year we hit 5 houses and doubled on the best ones. I'm so out of the haunt loop that we have a TON of new haunts this year. Sometimes going to haunts gives me ideas, plus its just a fun Halloween activity. We have so many in Texas, ranging from super kid friendly to crazy over the top world record holders. (aka The Cutting Edge)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts