Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many fog machines everyone use and what watts? Do you run them through chillers and if so how big of an area are you covering and what doe the effect look like for your area you are fogging.

I am looking to expand my cemetery for next season since I am taking this year off. So I want to fog the entire cemetery with chillers.

This is what I currently have. One chiller built from GotFog how to that I used last season. I have one 1500 Watt martin fogger, 3 700 watt foggers, and one 400 watt that I use in my coffins since they don't smoke all that great for land area but work great in the coffin. I am thinking about getting 2 1200 watt foggers and maybe 2 more at least one more 400 watt fogger for another coffin and a cauldron. Is this enough to do make a nice ground cover. What does everyone else do and use?

-Thanks

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine isn't big ether. I use to do productions for concerts so I have kind of collected things over the years. Do you have any pics of them in action? I would love to see it. I was happy with the one 700 watt through the chiller but it was in one small area and I plan on ground laying the entire yard. So just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

·
Resident Lunatic
1,771 Posts
I used one 400 watt fogger last year to inject fog into a witch's cauldron through a hole in the side to make it look like it was smoking. This year I'm planning to have yard fog, so I'm using two with chillers, since they are both cheap 400 watters. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to see I am not the only one that likes fog machines. You are right, those low lying machines are crap. I bought one last year to see if it would save me from making a chiller. Needless to say it didn't so it went back the same day.

My martin machine is a pro unit but I haven't used it in years I think I need to fix it which is why I haven't used it.

Does anyone have any pics or videos of their machines in action though?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya'll are maniacs!

I have a small back yard (20x30 ?) and only have 1 400w fogger. This is my first year doing any sort of yard haunt, and I have yet to test it. Ya'll are making me think I need more foggers!

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can tell you if you have a 20x30 yard and only one 400 watt fogger you will need something bigger, at least 700 watt.

I actually did a count last night to figure out how many Amps my foggers pull and I have a total of 9 that pull 61 amps. I am not going to run all of them just what I need, hence this thread...LoL

The 400 watt don't fog for very long and my experience with them the fog is fairly light compared to 700 watt + foggers. Also any light breeze at all will blow your fog away quick. I find the 400 watt foggers are only good for use with cauldrons, inside coffins, etc. just small effects. You might want to test it out to see if you are going to be happy with it. Chances are you probably won't. Another then to note, 400 watt foggers take more time to warm up between cycles result in less fogging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only a small section of the yard will be a haunt. The rest will be an area for guests to hang out, i.e.: keg of beer, small camp fire, random lawn chairs. I am making a chiller and if I can get a low fog just in the small haunt area I will be happy.

This is my first year and I am starting small. I plan on building up a little bit each year.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should work a lot better with a chiller.

What I would do is factor in the direction you normally get your wind from and make two set up locations for these situations. In my case it is from the North and the South. So I have two alternative set ups. One if the wind is coming from the North, and one from the South. That way depending on the wind for the night I can set the machines up two different ways if I need to so it goes with the wind instead of against it and not even blowing over the cemetery.

It would be a shame to set it up just to have the wind catch it and blow it the opposite direction away from your haunt. You know what I mean. It doesn't take much ether, just a light breeze of 1 mph can carry your fog away. You will notice it dissipate faster with the 400 watt machines then the 700+ machines.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea tell me about it, I was running I think 4 last year and didn't figure in power when I set them up and right at the start of the night I was tripping breakers...LoL So I had to redesign everything one the fly. I made it through though after that with no problems. I topped mine off at the start of the night and with has much as I was cranking them out. They were still nearly full.

Do you have any pics of them in action? What chiller style are you using? I used the gotfog.come style which worked ok but I think it could have been better. I am looking to build some more for next year since I am taking a break this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 3
A cheap 400w Fogger that I got at Party City
A Chauvet Hurricane 1700
And a Rosco Delta 3000 that I got used from work for $400 (needs the heating element fixed though)

The 400w Fogger I use near the front door as its output is very small so it doesnt over fog the area.
The Chauvet is used for the Graveyard and the Rosco (when it worked) is aimed to flood the walkway and drive way area.

I dont use chillers anymore because in the 3-4 hours that I have ToTers I can go through a 2 10lb bags of ice every 30 min.
Too much of a PITA to keep dumping water and re-adding ice every half hour.

·
Registered
59 Posts
...I dont use chillers anymore because in the 3-4 hours that I have ToTers I can go through a 2 10lb bags of ice every 30 min.

hhhmmm... what about using blocks of ice? wait...are these indoors??? DOH!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont use chillers anymore because in the 3-4 hours that I have ToTers I can go through a 2 10lb bags of ice every 30 min.
What about using frozen CO2? I have thought about this. Has anyone tried?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts