Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I guess that this is a leading on from huchon's question of "What time do you start setting up?".

This question is aimed at the home yard haunters.

I live in England, Europe and will have a modest display which I plan to start to build around 11:00 in the morning of Halloween as I know that it always takes longer than planed to complete. I will take part of it down at night, i.e. the more expensive bits, and the rest will be dismantled the morning of the following day.

Are there many people here who have their display up and running before and after Halloween? If so how for how long?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have more of a display than a haunt. I started mine about a week into Oct, adding things as time and weather allowed.
Our big event was our party this past weekend. We don't have much ToT activity here on Halloween, but people driving by can see the display, and our family enjoys it.
I intend to tear it all down November 1st. For me, once Halloween is over, it's on to the next thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a yard haunt. I started setting up today as it will take me a few days to get it set. I pull in the important stuff at the end of the night on Halloween, and finish tear down the next day or two.

·
Registered
822 Posts
gone Nov 1. Christmas up that night. Dead on the 2nd :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Started September 19. It was fully up and running last weekend in September. I'll run the full show through this Saturday then start to tear it down.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We used to mostly set up the day of. And we always, ALWAYS took it down Halloween night...I'm usually up until 2 or 3am bringing everything in. A couple years ago we started putting things out a little earlier...we got our tombstones out a week before this year. And this year, for the first time, because it's a weekend, we're gonna do take down probably late, late Saturday. It'll be nice to not have to worry about that Halloween night.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The first year we did Rose's Haunted Graveyard we set it up Halloween morning for action that night. Last year we added a bunch of stuff so I had it set up on October 30. This year, however, we apparently inspired the heck out of the neighborhood so that there were half a dozen homes with decorations of displays of some kind - which I consider a personal triumph - so we put most of the graveyard (the stuff people had seen from years past) out in mid-October. The new stuff, which includes a cornfield and a walk-through crypt, goes up today. Everyone, especially the kids in the neighborhood, have loved seeing it all come up early, since we get questions about whether or not we're going to be doing it again year-round. But in a way I wish I hadn't put it all in place quite so early. See, this is central Florida, and it's still in the high 80s every day. I can't water with all the props out, so my lawn, which I spent so much time maintaining during the dreadfully hot days of the summer, is now half dead. In fact, I sculpted it with a mower - an old trick to make the mounds of high grass look like grave plots - and now the area around the graves are mostly brown. That means that when I take everything down on November first, it's still going to look like a graveyard for which I'm sure the homeowner's association isn't going to kiss me.

Oh well. Nothing's ever perfect, is it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I usually have everything up by the middle of October or so, then take everything down right after Halloween. This year it'll all be gone by Saturday. Some years, I've waited until the week of Halloween to put up my stuff, and one year I had everything up for a full month. As my decorations and displays have expanded, so has my desire to put everything up earlier. If you're going to go to all that trouble, you want to enjoy your stuff for as long as possible, right? I'm not running my fog machine until tomorrow night, but otherwise, all my stuff has been up and running for a couple of weeks now.

The only other thing I save for Halloween night is my Hallowindow display. I could run it throughout Halloween week or something, but I prefer to leave it as a one night only type of thing, since all the kids and neighbors get a big kick out of it. I begrudgingly told a neighbor a few years ago what it was, and how you do it, because he asked me 3 or 4 times. I kinda wanted to keep it to myself, but then again I didn't want to be a jerk....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Somewhere near the start of October, I will start talking some down this weekend. Likely finish next weekend after I return from a reenactment.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Fall stuff since mid-Sept., main H'ween stuff about the second week of Oct. The good stuff comes in H'ween night, & the rest will come down sometime midweek next week when it (hopefully!) gets over 50°.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
It started going up the first weekend of October and normally it would come down the morning of November 1 but this year I'm just not ready to let go. I'm going to leave it up all weekend while I eat junk food, drink margaritas, and watch monster movies; my own private Halloween party! I guess it will all come down on Monday. :(

Reactions: ooojen

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
Had hoped to leave my yard display up for a few days, but they're predicting rain and 15+ mph winds starting by 3:00 AM on Nov 1, so most of the props will be brought into the garage after the TOTs stop arriving. Oh well. :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
One day only, Halloween. I put it all out in the morning and take it in at night. That way I don't have to worry about theft and it's also a surprise for everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts