Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to know before i begin building my haunt how long to should be? I know time and $ are aspects that are huge but that Aside what is a good legnth time wise that it should be? How long should it last? How many large scares? I dont want my audiance to ge board, or numb the the thrill of getting scared. Any suggestions? Thanks again Dustin

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Is this to be a professional haunt or a home haunt?

For a professional haunt, 30 minutes is good for me. 15 is way too short and 45 minutes gets tiring (but I am 42 so that could have something to do with it. heh.)

For a home haunt, I believe you have complete flexibility. It's free after-all and from what I've experienced people are super-thrilled to have even just any extra effort past the simple candy at the door and a pumpkin on the porch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It depends on your desired result- do you want a portion of kids to get too scared to make it all the way to get candy? Do you mind 3 days of tear down after halloween? Can you make a longer haunt safely?

Personally, i believe that the longer the better, but don't water down your scenes or scares just to make it longer. A few well placed scares with good scenes is better than a longer walk through where you can tell someone didn't put enough into the scenes and just wanted to draw things out.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Your haunt should allow ample opportunity for your patrons to procreate, raise their own horror "flicks"...in a world surrounded by images and sounds of tghe macabre. Such a haunt should have no physical limits where state, country, body or mind are concerned.

If during one of your haunts someone should pass away ie: grandparent, spouse, dor to door salesman...feel free to incorporate the deceased into your display.

I hope this clarifies things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so musch for your replies. I am looking for more of the professional haunt. With the time frame of 30 mins is that including the standing in line also or is that just haunt time?

Hey also while i have your guys ears have you guys read How To Haunt Your House by Shawn & Lynne Mitchell. what are your thoughts and is it worth the money or is it the same ole illusions and tricks? ( I.e. buckys skeliton stuff and using great stuff foam)

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
The 30 minutes for me does not include standing in line, just haunt time.

I have the book and I like it. It does have some new ideas in it but mostly has stuff I've seen already. But, to be fair, I'm a hard-core prop maker. I'm constantly on the prowl for new props online. Most people (newbies) would be blown away by the ideas and photography in the book. I got it to remind me of approaches I could use and they had some very fresh ideas. Overall I like the book very much. I would suggest this book in a heartbeat if a neighbor of mine wanted to really make their Halloween terrific this year but doesn't have the time to dedicate learning Halloween techniques on the web like I do.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
As long as you can without spacing out the scares too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts