Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
I a sooooo not an expert, but it might be a standard wiper motor attached to a more bendy wire/arm to the upper body on a long throw, set to a faster rpm. I've done a rocking chair using a wiper motor and attaching it with a wire coathanger wire (cut it and then wrapped it around a screw) and I could see some "bounce" in the movement from the wire being more flexible, and could definitely see a faster RPM causing it to flail a bit more...

At least this may serve as a bump to get the attention of the real mechanical geniuses here. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an interesting idea, and I might just get a used shiatsu massager for $10 or $15 and prove out this theory.

I have the same clown, and I was going to seat him on a chair right next to my trash can trauma prop, which has the It clown popping out. The trash can trauma prop is activated by a remote switch (typically 4-channel relay one gets on Ebay). If I were to buy the exact same switch, would it stand to reason that the switch would be on same frequency and once I activate it, I could trigger both the It and the shiatsu clown at same time?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the trash can trauma triggers the picoboo, which turns off after some time. I'd need to press button again to switch off the shiatsu clown. Sounds like I'd need to keep trash can trauma on channel A and shiatsu clown on channel B (or get single channel switch for shiatsu clown)?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add some context, and I'll probably post this in another thread in the future, the purpose of the shiatsu clown is simply to hold up a sign that would say "Press this button if you'd like to meet my friend. Warning, he can be scary". And I'd just have the switch attached to the sign, which would trigger the trash can trauma. Haven't quite figured out the shiatsu part. Maybe I can just wire the shiatsu motor into the picoboo and be done with it, so they are synchronized.

The sign idea....I'm just very reluctant to terrify some little kid who will hate clowns or Halloween forever because of me. I'd rather give that choice to the parents or older kids, presumably ones that know how to read. Like I said, I'll post a future thread to solicit some opinions on the matter. This is the first prop I've ever constructed that is so scary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add some context, and I'll probably post this in another thread in the future, the purpose of the shiatsu clown is simply to hold up a sign that would say "Press this button if you'd like to meet my friend. Warning, he can be scary". And I'd just have the switch attached to the sign, which would trigger the trash can trauma. Haven't quite figured out the shiatsu part. Maybe I can just wire the shiatsu motor into the picoboo and be done with it, so they are synchronized.

The sign idea....I'm just very reluctant to terrify some little kid who will hate clowns or Halloween forever because of me. I'd rather give that choice to the parents or older kids, presumably ones that know how to read. Like I said, I'll post a future thread to solicit some opinions on the matter. This is the first prop I've ever constructed that is so scary.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Just a suggestion on triggering, I haven't seen your Trash Can but if it pops up quickly, you may wanna keep the trigger in your pocket if there's any chance someone could be directly in the way. You don't want someone leaning over it when the button gets pushed.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Not quite clear from your posts but are you wanting to activate the clown holding the sign to sway back and forth, maybe less violently than shown, or did you just want the sign he's holding to wave back and forth to get people's attention and get them to read it?

Here's a DIY YT video done by Halstaff illustrating the movement and underlying build mechanisms for a number of animated props. I thought you might be interested in the prop movement at 13:00 in for the clown movement and possibly the one at 18:55 in for movement of a sign he would be holding. Not sure how much movement you want or need. If the object is just to draw attention to the message on the sign maybe the second prop movement design (done vertically and with mechanics hidden in his arm's clothing) would be the way to go. A foamboard sign or a plastic corrogated material sign would be light weight and not tax the motor.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm just very reluctant to terrify some little kid who will hate clowns or Halloween forever because of me.
Really, you can't start terrifying kids with clowns early enough. It teaches them to stay away from the horrid creatures. It's the duty of anyone using a clown prop in their yard to make the thing as terrifying as possible, so that youngsters learn the truth at an early age. All clowns are evil, demented monsters with makeup fetishes. Then again, my childhood contact with clowns may have slightly altered my perception of them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have that actual clown and had to repair it. It does work exactly like the massager. It has a pivot point just above where it attaches to the motor but "attaches" loosely for the slight "floppyness" to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts