Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 2013 was another disaster, weather wise, we had one of the biggest maze created I ever seen, huge spider tunnel created and more than 50 life sizes (more than half animatronics) ready.... then, not joking, we had the rainiest day (and windy) day of the entire year, and a snow storm the next day...

Obviously, we didn't put half of the props out, maze was destroyed and could not use it on Halloween night, tunnel was smashed by the snow and must be retired this year, and some props got damaged.

Yeay... so, my motivation as never been this down... me and my wife, we agreed, no more tunnels, no more mazes, no more walk around... just the front laws...

That is also one of the main reasons I barely been here since last Halloween... also being a comic book writer and drawer didn't help too (L).

But last night, I decided to post some pics of my Halloween 2013 fiasco.. and Damn, I forgot how it's still was good... We still got lots of people, but not like some of the other years, but we easily pasted the 250..

After last night, looking at my pics, I got a bit more in the mood...

Here some of them...

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I feel for you. Living in western NY weather is always an issue. We'll have great weather, starting to get cool enough to be outside all day, calm winds....then bam the last week in October the winds pick up and they're usually coming from the north. It starts raining everyday. 2011 we had strong winds and frozen rain all night, 2012 we spent the day before Halloween redoing everything we brought in from Sandy and could only set up the graveyard, last year we got somewhat lucky in that it was only a light rain all night until about 10:00 or so then the winds and rain picked up. Thankfully I have a large family and we all ran around pulling all the scenes I had set up lining my yard into my garage like a fast forward movie. My garage was filled with a wet mangled mess of props that wouldn't dry and had to be put away. Couldn't put them back out to dry because the chance of a day in November without rain, coupled with the frigid weather moving in, is slim. It's very discouraging. I posted on here before about making a fog chiller. Worked great when I made it and played with it in July. It's kind of impossible to get the fog cooler than the air and ground when your lawn is covered in ice LOL So I turned it into a garbage can ghoul and if we ever get a freak Halloween night that it's not windier than Chicago and it's warmer than Alaska I'll be ready. I understand your frustration. Nothing's worse than planning and building and every single year Mother Nature throws something at you. This year I'm hopeful with it being on a Friday that if we get Hurricane remnants or anything similar I'll post signs and open my yard Saturday. Those are some really great photos and truthfully I've had quite a few of those I don't want to do this anymore moments for all of the above reasons. My daughter tells me "Mom you can't stop. The neighbors have come to expect it and they all make a special trip here." So many people were asking where was the rest of our set-up in 2012 and we had to explain that we didn't have time after Sandy. It's a lot of work and I have seen quite a few of your "hauls" so with all that great stuff I'm sure the neighborhood kids will be very disappointed if you just gave up. There does come a time to scale back but you look young enough to have quite a few more years before that. Who knows maybe this year Mother Nature will throw us Northerner's for a loop and we'll have a calm rain free Fall day.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
gr8 pics osenator!

i sure i speak for everyone here in that we missed you ... i really luv your videos ... and you always get these amazing hauls ...

& you're very inspirational to myself and likely many others here ... so even though you're down and it might seem that you're efforts occasionally seem wasted, remember that this isn't the case ... the tots, i'm certain, luv your stuff

yes, maybe scaling back is something to consider ... after all there's only so much that you and your wife can do ... and weather can be a real pain ...

anyways, welcome back, i'm glad you're still with us and i'm looking forward to more videos ...

sincerely,

amk

·
Registered
696 Posts
I hear you. I spent a long time working on my headless horseman, and it got beat up pretty good last year. Other than moving I don't see a way around weather disasters. Posting your pics is a good way to try and get motivated. (By the way, they are wonderful.) Talking about it helps as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ohhhhh osenator, living in Ohio I feel your pain. It was a beautiful October Friday, hubby and I took the day off work to set up our carnevil theme complete with six tents for our games, it looked awesome , at dusk we tried our lights, it looked like a real carnival we were so excited how it came out. Decided to take a break around 9:00 pm, all of a sudden bam, 50mph wind and pouring rain, ran outside, all was gone, we were devastated, spent the rest of the night/morning cleaning up the mess, didn't even get pictures of the finished product . Party was set for Sat 7:00 rained all-day until 6:00. We managed to bring the party inside our haunted barn that was already set up but not for carnevil, we made it happen. That was 2012. Last year we decided to take a year off, and I was miserable the whole month of October, going to stores and seeing all the Halloween stuff, I wanted to cry. So this year Mother Nature can kiss my a**.:p I’m back. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So this year Mother Nature can kiss my a**. I’m back.
LOL! Sadly, mother nature wins every time though so it's her *** we kiss.

2013 was a close call for me. Windy and spotty rain. It held off for TOT, but it was windy enough to have to hold back on some stuff. Every single thing had to come back in right at 10pm to avoid the serious rain that came. The worst was super storm sandy in 2012. We knew it was gonna hit so I didn't put anything out. I set up a haunt inside for the family. But electricity was knocked out and halloween wasn't to be for anyone in the northeast, for the most part. Dealing with that storm was actually less work than setting up for halloween though! LOL! I considered it a break that year. It is a massive amount of work and money invested for a 'maybe' each year. By October 28th I mostly know what's gonna happen with the weather. The trick is to have a setup that takes no more than two days to setup, so you can hold out as long as possible and avoid impending doom. I've said it before- halloween is on the most likely day to have bad weather. There is no doubt the odds favor it. It should be moved to a luckier weather day.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Last year was terrible - such wind and rain! Too much for my poor little walls, but I'm taking it as a challenge to make it better this year. It was good, it just wasn't what it could have been. I was such a mess, too, just all stressed out. But, at the end of the night I still had a pretty good time.

Now, for this year I've got plenty of new ideas. Heh heh heh... my friendly "competition" in the next block has quadrupled their space (of course, they are all indoors) and are working non-stop on something, so I can't be out done. We do different styles, and visit each other's haunts at the end of the night. It's fun.

Right now, I've already done a lot of the planning and I'm working on my costume. (Lots of embellishment means I need lots of lead time.) Fourth of July is about when it starts getting serious, and I'm feeling that "you've got stuff to do" feeling.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the kind words... Yes, Mother Nature can kiss my a** too (L). If, and only if, I can do an indoor haunt somewhere, then, I can go full Commando! (L).
I did a vid of my destroyed maze and need to post it... Myabe today, I can try. It's pretty sad...

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
If, and only if, I can do an indoor haunt somewhere, then, I can go full Commando! (L).
Better watch that the paparazzi do not get pictures, osenator:p

Sorry about all that you also went through, "i got a rock!". Mother Nature can be a royal b-witch:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Those are some nice haunt pictures! Your haunt would be sorely missed if you did not do it. 250 people is still quite a few people who came under horrid weather conditions, don't let them down. It is haunts like yours that create wonderful Halloween memories for generations.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I really can't watch that at work, no crying at work allowed!

If it helps, I may have had 250 ToTers TOTAL in the last 15 years but never all at once. I don't know what I'd do if I did!!

Burnout happens, I totally get that & was glad I had to do some apartment living for a few years to take a break. As for inspiration & motivation this year it was spending a week in New Orleans & hearing the ghost stories, seeing the cemeteries, the voodoo stories, visiting Marie Laveau's tomb & her shop, etc.

This doesn't mean I'm doing a voodoo/swamp theme (NO GATORS EVAR!!), though I may try it one day, but it certainly was an general inspiration to get into the Halloween mood.

Next year it will be something different but it's weird how the mid-summer seems to turn our thoughts to all things Halloween. Building, planning, buying, etc. For most "normals" it's fall leaves, cider, the cooler weather that reminds them of the season & the holiday, but for us it's the mid-July Grandin Road premiere, or seeing fall stuff in Michaels.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
OMG, Osenator. You guys need to move to San Diego right now!!! So sorry for all you went through, and it all getting ruined. So disappointing. :( If I lived in your weather, I wouldn't have the courage to build the displays you guys do, even in the front yard. I applaud all of your efforts, my friend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts