Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I had to revamp my book collection this year and this was the inspiration I needed. On your advice, i headed to a local thrift store a couple weeks ago and loaded up with nice leather belts with decorative buckles. The cool thing I never thought about is that just the buckles alone would cost you about $5-$8 even in a place like Walmart. I got them for 50c to $1.50, and now have the belt to boot. I wish I could find some letters like those, especially on sale.

All your books look terrific and I am really impressed. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope I can do your tutorial justice with my books. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
That is quite inspiring! Reusing old books is genius. And I enjoy reading everyone's suggestions for how to age the paper.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JustWhisper, I am looking forward to seeing pics of ur books. I also have been buying old gaudy jewelry and taking it apart. I even used the chains. On this book I used a skull necklace and glued on the skull and used the chain to wrap the book. I am really getting into using rubber stamps on the books for an added touch. DSC04950.jpg

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Witchie Poo, I'm one of those who asked for your tutorial and love the look of your poison book. Thanks for the photos and technique. You did a nice job with the book cover edging. Looks old and banged up and maybe rat nibbled. I'll have to take a look at the raised lettering next time I'm in a craft store. That's not something I would have thought to use and I like the look with how you colored it. BTW you did color the backside or underside (flat) of the lettering right?

Nice job @@Spookie Kitty.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I spotted an open book at a yard sale that I want to copy. It was somehow stiffened with the corners of the pages curled up a little. Does anyone know how this was done? They wanted too much for it plus it was opened to some religious pages and I couldn't figure out how to change them to the darkside or I would have bought it ;)
In other news I finally found a leather belt covered in metal medallions and can get started on one of these neat projects!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
These books look wonderful. Although I don't usually do a witch-oriented theme, I am desperately trying to figure out how to incorporate something like this into a pirate theme now! :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I spotted an open book at a yard sale that I want to copy. It was somehow stiffened with the corners of the pages curled up a little. Does anyone know how this was done? They wanted too much for it plus it was opened to some religious pages and I couldn't figure out how to change them to the darkside or I would have bought it ;)
In other news I finally found a leather belt covered in metal medallions and can get started on one of these neat projects!
Try this... http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-make-decorative-open-book-plaques/index.html

And for changing the page http://christybuonomophoto.blogspot.com/2010/10/witchs-spell-book.html?m=1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will never have enough time to make all the books I can now imagine... this is such a perfect way to start. THANKS a bazillion.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts