Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These books are so fun and easy to make. Check thrift stores and garage sales for old books. Look for old jewelry, belts, beads ect. The craft stores are good places to find lettering and stamps.

DSC04957.jpg

Here is the book I am going to alter

DSC04959.jpg

Next crumple some of the pages or ripped edge looks cool but takes forever

DSC04961.jpg

choose a color and paint the book, usually takes 2 coats

DSC04962.jpg

next water down a darker paint, I chose black and dab on all over to age it and make it look dirty

DSC04963.jpg

next is the fun part, I use a serrated steak knife. Scrape all the edges and cut off a corner, have fun and do as little or as much as you like

DSC04964.jpg

The edges look to light or some of the book color may show so I use the base color watered down and go over the edges.

DSC04965.jpg

I use these letters that look like dried glue that I found at a craft store. I use a permanent marker to color the letters before I remove them

DSC04966.jpg

choose a title for your book

DSC04967.jpg

Choose some fun ornaments. I used a gold skull that was part of a necklace and a little corked bottle from a craft store.

DSC04970.jpg

After hot glueing on the ornaments it still looked like it was missing something. I used a spiderweb stamp and black ink.

DSC04971.jpg

Finished book

DSC04972.jpg

The library is growing and I still have several more books I want to make. I want to make an open book next :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
They look great. I will have to show my sister this.

If you want to ripple the pages try soaking them and letting them dry out. I know it does it to my news paper when it rains

·
Registered
180 Posts
to get a real good ripple effect spray the pages with Windex for a cool ripple when it dries

i had to do this at my old job when we got in stacks of new ones so they would not stick together

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very neat idea! It allows you to choose whatever title you want to give to your book.... Very useful to make some book in French (since there are none in the stores!!).

Thanks for sharing! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
You just saved me a load of time with this tutorial! I've been trying to figure out how to make a Witchy Library for my theme this year.... THANK YOU!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts