Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not as high as you may think.

2008 figures on holiday spending by American consumers, from the National Retail Federation:

1. Winter holidays (Christmas), $470.4 billion.

2. Valentine's Day, $17.02 billion.

3. Mother's Day, $15.8 billion.

4. Easter, $14.44 billion.

5. Father's Day, $9.6 billion.

6. Halloween, $5.77 billion.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Not a fair comparison, most of those are gift-giving holidays.

There was a report a couple years ago talking about HW as #2 behind Christmas in spending, referring to decoration spending.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This topic really interests me. I can't see spending more on easter than halloween. LOL
Mm, same. I can only imagine buying easter eggs for friends and family and maybe a soft toy... But even then I don't spend nearly as much as when I do on Halloween. Christmas is definately my most expensive time of year though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the National Retail Federation,
The majority [of consumers] will spend the most on Easter meals ($41.09 on average). Consumers will also dish out an average of $23.82 for apparel, $21.42 for gifts, $18.12 on candy, $9.11 on flowers and $7.21 on decorations.
As for Halloween,
This year, consumers will spend an average of $24.17 on Halloween costumes (including costumes for adults, children, and pets). People will also be buying candy ($20.39 on average), decorations ($18.25) and greeting cards ($3.73).

·
Registered
459 Posts
halloween is gift giving time for me. my birthday is oct 2nd so i keep telling people when they ask what do you want for your birthday to just go down the halloween isle. so every year i buy myself a halloween decoration, though, i am in serious concern over this year. NOBODY has any halloween decorations yet. WTF? are they going to get some or is it just masks and candy this year?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree normally for my birthday which was Friday (18th) I go buy something for myself from the Halloween aisle at Walmart or from somewhere else. I'm so disgusted. I went to walmart and they have crap. Only costumes and party bowls and very limited party bowls at that . Heck they don't even have traditional halloween trick or treat pumpkin color of orange it's really ridiculous......... I was (still am) upset can u tell? :p

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I spend more on Halloween than the others by far.....mabe they did not pole the right group.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I always send a Halloween package to my nieces and nephews. So thats like presents.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
yep

The category is "consumer spending", not "decoration spending".
I realize that, I was pretty explicit that it makes sense Halloween is low on the list, since ALL of those other holidays are gift giving holidays, and Halloween is not.

I also stated that when looking at "decoration spending," HW is #2. That is all.

Halloween is the #1 candy giving Holiday. Halloween is the #2 beer holiday behind July 4th. You can find all types of angles to get HW higher rankings, just not total spending. ;-)

·
Registered
459 Posts
i'm really ticked at walmart too, it's the only store in this town, and they have nothing, candy and costumes that's it. yeah and purple and other odd colored candy holder pumkins for the kids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts