Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article about Kings Island's Halloween event and I wanted to know everyone's opinions on this.

Kings Island Pushes Boundaries For Halloween Haunt - Entertainment News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger and Steve McNair are among the celebrity displays that will likely make you cringe. Farrah Fawcett even sports her famous red tank top for one display. The park promises even more.

"You're gonna see Ted Kennedy, Ed McMahon and there's still other ones yet to be placed," said Helbig.
My question is...as Halloween fanatics/haunters do you think this is disrespectful or in bad taste? Is it going too far when you dress up your props like recently deceased celebrities?

I honestly don't know what to think about this. Halloween is a fun holiday and all but to poke fun at an actual deceased person feels a little 'off'.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its a good question. Personally I don't see anything wrong with those costumes but I could understand if some disapprove. It would really depend on how they are displayed too I think.

If some kid goes over the line, I'll tell them they did but its rare.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It would be hypocritical of me if i said that it would offend me. After all i do not know how soon is too soon for jokes after one is deceased.

All i can say is if having the scenes is any different than someone (which there will be a lot of them) dressing up as any of those personalities for halloween? As devil's advocate i must say though how it is a double standard that it is not taken as distasteful to most to dress up like a dead celebrity but hold the phone if someone dresses up as a deceased loved one or family member of yours or someone elses. Would it be offensive if I dresses as former president kennedy with the back of my head shot off?

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
I guess it could have been worse but Heath Ledger with pill bottles and Sunny Bono against a tree is little disrespectful to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's ridiculous. Completely unnecessary.

I understand they're celebrities. But how is it any different from someone dressing up a skeleton as your recently deceased Uncle Ted or Grandma Jo? They still meant something to someone.

I just think it's tacky and rude.

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
I understand what you are saying about the movie characters, yet every year people run out of thier shoes to get away from them.

As i rember it Halloween was to scare pep, not say oooo look at my i am dressed as my fav dead person. I never dressed up as a famous person on oct. 31. I also find it lame to go to a Hunted House and find that they have Mike Myers, Jason, Freddy, and all the rest. I know those people alreayd, they r not scarry. Now a randomly put together Zombie getup that was distressed by the person in it, that is scarry!

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
THe skeletons are dressed very poorly anyway. Some people might get offended and some may not. I guess it just depends on the person.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We are headed up there this weekend for a company event but our time will end at 6 because Frightfest starts up then. We have young children and we were told it is too much for kids and that the crowd gets a little rough. I personally don't have a problem with these props but I have heard they push the boundaries every year. I can see how some people would be offended though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THe skeletons are dressed very poorly anyway. Some people might get offended and some may not. I guess it just depends on the person.
I think the way they are presented, with surrounding props, may end up being the biggest contributing factor when it comes to offending people. Ted Williams in a freezer, Steve McNair on a couch, Sonny Bono against a tree, etc. I've heard the Heath Ledger skeleton has pill bottles scattered about.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know that to be completely fair I can't judge without having seen the display. I do get where this idea may be coming from, and that there may be an audience for it. However, I personally don't like the idea, myself and find it bordering on being in poor taste. I would think an idea like that is used more for shock value than for actually quality. When I think of the quality art I see everyone here make with their props, that is what I consider to be great, original quality work with a purpose. This idea... not so much.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Beyond tacky and distasteful. Just ugh. Whatever happened to the Universal Monsters and Hammer Horror? And then there's the good old fashioned ghosts, witches, goblins, scarecrows, creepy forest animals. Putting up dead celebs is just lame. That's the best the imagination can come up with? Pitiful.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I live just 25 miles north of KI and we have a season pass and go a lot and let me tell ya they are clueless when it comes to what sells the park in Oct., I get these e-mails from them and all they ever said is we promise you more gore,blood and horror........how cheesy and dumb.Don't know who runs their PR dept but really thoughtless advertising to me. Sorry but Halloween to me still is not a slasher movie and I don't display that junk as well.......please JMHO so don't be offend but I rather see cutsie stuff (inflatables,whatever...) with a lot of humor and thought behind it than tacky 911 type death scene's........just tacky and tasteless.......ok,ok done with my rant and I agree with the above statement......what happen to the classic monsters......Drac,mummy's,scarecrows,franky and etc ? Tho I enjoy the Saw movie franchise its not Halloween for me. Bring back the Traditional stuff......PLEASE !!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I suprised myself by thinking how funny this was, especially the pictures of the cheesy dressed up skeletons! It is not as if these are realistic, accurate portrayals of the celebs mentioned.
Part of the observation of Halloween has to do with dealing with our fear of the unknown, death and our own mortality. What better way than to laugh in the face of death through our encounter with these admittedly tastless tableaus.
Dress up a few Buckys, put name tags on them, and get OOODLES of free publicity!

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's ridiculous. Completely unnecessary.

I understand they're celebrities. But how is it any different from someone dressing up a skeleton as your recently deceased Uncle Ted or Grandma Jo? They still meant something to someone.

I just think it's tacky and rude.
well said! I totally agree. A character from a movie ok, but the person who played the character? no

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think the graveyard is in poor taste and having live animals is just asking for trouble. They didn't specify what kind but a lot of people can be cruel. Doesn't really sound scary.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The animals just seem like a bad idea. I live in an area where every halloween we end up with lots of dead black cats and such around town and i'm more than a little paranoid. As they also go after black dogs, and I have 2 one of which looks a lot like a wolf. I keep them inside and only put them out when I go out with them, so really think their use of live animals is just really foolish.

As for the skeletons am I allowed to be offended on a case by case basis? I think mostly it's just distasteful but really it's to each their own and I'm sure some people will go just because of it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
In my opinion, I don't think they should do this. I think people like Halloween stuff like Jason, Freddy, Mummies, and so on because they are not real in this present age. A mummy that rises from the grave is not real. It's not to say that there aren't real witches, or vampires, but in normal day society, you don't come across them.

People can like Jason because he's not a real killer. If he was based on someone, people don't want to really think about that. People don't dress up like the Una bomber because they don't like him because he was a real person that did something absolutely terrible.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should NOT mix something fake with people that were real, and they just died. Instead of a skeleton scaring people, that skeleton of Farrah Fawcett might me people feel sad, and cry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts