Halloween Forum banner

How far do you travel for supplies and props?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Junit 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if I'm the only one who really goes out of their way to get supplies. My "local" hobby shop is 16 miles away, one way! It's a very large hobby shop that carries a lot of different things.

After running to Lowe's, Michael's and Home Depot, I had to run to the hobby shop to pick up dispossible brushes to do my skulls. I prob. spent more on gas then the brushes. I also found out that they do NOT carry dmx servos. :(

I also buy props over the internet and have gone a lot more that way. I guess I'll start to buy supplies that way also. I just hate doing this due to the shipping costs and not seeing the item in my hands to see if I approve of the quality.

So my friends, what are your stories?

#2 ·
I live in the back woods of Tennessee so I have to travel for supplies as well. The nearest Lowes or Home Depot is 20 miles (one way) If I want props other than what walmart has I have to travel 50 miles one way to the nearest halloween store. Its a long trip but it sure does make me happy!! lol

#3 ·
I am lucky that i have a lot of stores withing 20min of where i am so i never have to worry about that. But, if i find a good buy on Craigslist i'll drive an hour or so out of my way for it.

#6 ·
I recently moved from Northern CA to a small (both city limit signs on the same post) town in central NC. After living where local hobby shops abound, now the nearest "real" shop is 90 miles to the south. We do have Home Depot and Lowes nearby but I've been considering more mail order supplies for the small hard to find items. When I do make it to the hobby shop, I load up on the supplies that I know I'll need.
As for props, about 60 feet from the house to my shop where I build anything I need.

#10 ·
Well Garden Ridge is about 30 miles south of me and they are the first store to stock up, right after the 4th of July is passed the load up the isles pretty quick the very next week. We get all excited seeing the new merch. in stores so early that officially kicks off the serious planning stage's. Last year we came back with a new larger model fake Gemmy chainsaw (gotta love Gemmy).The rest of my stores ... Ole Time Pottery, Flower factory, wallys,k-marts, targets and all the seasonal Halloween stores are only a few miles away.Big Lots down the street from me starts stocking in July as well but I think it will be a lean year for the stores and less items to choose from. OTP and the FF are huge stores like GR so they stock early too. I'm just hoping the stores won't go too lean this year......oh well I have plenty of new toys this year as it is and really don't need more at this time.......... "UNLESS "....its on clearance for a really good price....lol !

#11 ·
Thanks guys for posting. It looks like my drive isn't all that bad. lol I do have the Michaels, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, and Home Depot all within about 4 miles of me but, that just covers basics and not much of that.

13 Mummy, you should stop by my house when you come to the cities. We have Spirit World about 3 miles away from us. You could also purchase online stuff and have it shipped to my house and then pick it up here for your drive back. Save you a hell of a lot on shipping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.