Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in Atlanta burbs, currently live about 18 miles from the office. Most days, it's just 30 minutes either way, but if I don't leave on time, it's easily an hour or maybe even 1.5 hours. (My office WAS <3 miles from the house, but they relocated from burbs into town...ugh)

We were bit hard by the housing bubble in 2008 after relocating for work, the house didn't sell for 2 years. We were wiped out. We've been renting since, and are finally now about to re-enter the world of ownership.

Problem is...to find houses that have what we are looking for - good yard, good schools, my commute gets worse. If I want a good commute, we either can't afford the house or the schools STINK. Or, it has a good school, good commute, but absolutely no yard.

I'm pretty much looking at a minimum hour commute each way, even if Google tells me it's only 40 minutes...I just don't know if I believe it yet. Pretty much 30-40 miles out is where the sweet spot is for houses in our price range with all the features we want.

How far do you drive to work, or how far would you be willing to drive to make sure it's a good fit for the whole family?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My little town is full of people who are driving 25 -30 miles to work. The nice thing is it is a very rural area and only bad weather makes the drive tricky or time consuming. So a 25 mile drive is usually a very dependable drive time of maybe 35 minutes?
Tthe one North-South 10 mile long straight away can accumulate snow drifting across it and that road can be closed to all traffic for a day or two once every couple of years.
By comparison just 2 hours East in an older suburb of Chicago a certain popular and busy road where the speed limit is 45 might require an hour to just go 5 to 8 miles!
I live inside my business The Ravens Grin Haunted House. I sometimes have to drive 25-30 miles to find a certain item I need, but I really do like" not leaving"
Boring? Not for me. I have had people from almost every country you care to name come to see my house over these last 27 years.. which means.. the "World" knows where I live!.. but i have many hiding places..

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Obviously, it's a personal choice.

I have a couple of co-workers that commute 50 miles each way, every day.
That would probably be my limit, 50 miles.

I'm lucky enough to live 15 miles from work, which takes about 20 minutes to travel on most days (straight shot on a state highway), on 5 acres of land where I can get my haunt on.

I couldn't live someplace without a yard.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
I live in a small town with no real work unless you want to flip burgers or work at walmart. There's only 2 options if you want to earn a living in yucca valley. you either commute about 45 min. to the east and find a job on the military base or you commute about 1 hr. south to Palm Springs for work. i have done both over the last 10 years now so the drive doesn't really bother me anymore. The only crappy thing is i get up for work at 3:30 in the morning. But Yucca Valley is quiet and just rural enough that it's not a city but it's not a tourist attraction either. Everyone that lives here commutes to either the east or south there is no in between.

·
Banned
88 Posts
"...well, one of the good things about living in geneva switzerland is the public transportation system that is almost free, and would have been free if we hadn't voted against making it free, so why did we vote no to free transportation, well we didn't want beggars sleeping on the buses, so unlimited public transport is 12frs for the day working out about 10dollars then..." mentioned the goblin who then apologized for not knowing that dollar to foodstamp conversion rate, then continuing "...where I myself just travel about 10minutes to work by bicycle...", in fact, the goblin at his age rode slowly, safely, etc, but then just explained his thoughts upon commuting here, saying "...an important point to remember is that 1minute a day from the age of 20 to 60 is just over 10days, where a commute of 1.5hours one way, or 3hours a day there and back, is over 4 years, where time is not money at all, if anything it's more valuable than money, because you can always make more money, yet time you won't receive twice, where the future might not come neither, so much as one shouldn't live all for today one shouldn't live all for the future neither, a balance then...", yet either way the goblin had noted that american lifestyle was changing with the increasing disillusionment is the american dream where within the increasing instability of the value of properties, rent seemed to make more sense than being underwater

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
I say go for the sweet spot. We moved from a house we bought at one year old, which had sat empty for 6 months. I was just like new. We had made that home totally to our taste, and finished the basement with an extra bedroom and full bath, and another living space. We move to a 1968 crapper for the schools. I currently drive about 30 minutes to work each way, non highway. If we had stayed in the other house it would have been more and tons of traffic. In other towns I have driven interstate 1 plus hours each way. Jobs change, and you don't know if something may come up closer to the sweet spot. Schools and location you can't change. Is there a possibility of working from home a couple of times a week or month? Good luck with the house hunt and the commute.

·
Undertaker
3,265 Posts
We live in Atlanta burbs, currently live about 18 miles from the office. Most days, it's just 30 minutes either way, but if I don't leave on time, it's easily an hour or maybe even 1.5 hours. (My office WAS <3 miles from the house, but they relocated from burbs into town...ugh)

We were bit hard by the housing bubble in 2008 after relocating for work, the house didn't sell for 2 years. We were wiped out. We've been renting since, and are finally now about to re-enter the world of ownership.

Problem is...to find houses that have what we are looking for - good yard, good schools, my commute gets worse. If I want a good commute, we either can't afford the house or the schools STINK. Or, it has a good school, good commute, but absolutely no yard.

I'm pretty much looking at a minimum hour commute each way, even if Google tells me it's only 40 minutes...I just don't know if I believe it yet. Pretty much 30-40 miles out is where the sweet spot is for houses in our price range with all the features we want.

How far do you drive to work, or how far would you be willing to drive to make sure it's a good fit for the whole family?
How far ? or how long to work? I commute via the freeway 115 miles now. It takes roughly an hour and 20 minutes. When I worked in Detroit area, a 5 mile commute would take me 45 minutes. God I hated that....

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
We moved from a townhouse 10-15 minutes from hubby's job to 1/2 hr + depending on day and time in order to buy a house with nice size rooms and a decent yard for this area. I've always wanted a yard and love the extra space. Hubby didn't want to drive further than this, and now it turns out he can take a bus with occasional trips in by car. For us it worked out moving further away. No kids at home. And I love the smaller town feel of where we are now. Our former area is jam packed now with shopping and cars and people and that original 10-15 min trip has grown because of all the traffic and congestion. We may not have as much shopping where we live now but what we do have is more than adequate. One thing you can't ever make up for is square footage outside. Inside sometimes but honestly after our interior remodeling I don't have any plans to go that route again.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
The longest that I have ever driven to work was around 20 miles one way, into a not-so-good area, and with far-from-stellar pay. Currently, I drive about 10 each direction, which is enough for me, especially with how frustrating people often are. My way of thinking is that if the pay is good enough, a longer drive would not be too bad, but it takes a chunk out of each paycheck if not (as I can attest to), so that is certainly something to consider.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The owner of the company has a very negative view of telecommuting. However, there is a new Chief HR officer who supports this policy as a means of decreasing turnover. There are rumors that some type of telecommuting program will be installed in 2015. I am not optimistic about my position being one of the lucky parties, though. GRRR. Thanks for the reply. We have been scouring the earth for "crappers" in good school districts here, but not surprisingly...they don't really exist. They get picked up, demolished and replaced by six hundred thousand dollar mcmansions.

I say go for the sweet spot. We moved from a house we bought at one year old, which had sat empty for 6 months. I was just like new. We had made that home totally to our taste, and finished the basement with an extra bedroom and full bath, and another living space. We move to a 1968 crapper for the schools. I currently drive about 30 minutes to work each way, non highway. If we had stayed in the other house it would have been more and tons of traffic. In other towns I have driven interstate 1 plus hours each way. Jobs change, and you don't know if something may come up closer to the sweet spot. Schools and location you can't change. Is there a possibility of working from home a couple of times a week or month? Good luck with the house hunt and the commute.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Distances we are seeing are between 30-40 miles from office. Distance from the freeway is where time is lost. For instance, you can live 10 miles off the freeway at one exit, but a couple exits further north and you can't go out more than 2 miles from the freeway.

I can work "flex hours," meaning I can work 6:30-3:30 if needed. I currently work 7-4, and I'm able to make my 18 mile commute in under 30 minutes in the morning and around 30-45 minutes in the afternoon most days. It is reasonable to hope for 45 minutes/1 hour if we move 30-45 miles out.

How far ? or how long to work? I commute via the freeway 115 miles now. It takes roughly an hour and 20 minutes. When I worked in Detroit area, a 5 mile commute would take me 45 minutes. God I hated that....

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We moved from a townhouse 10-15 minutes from hubby's job to 1/2 hr + depending on day and time in order to buy a house with nice size rooms and a decent yard for this area. I've always wanted a yard and love the extra space. Hubby didn't want to drive further than this, and now it turns out he can take a bus with occasional trips in by car. For us it worked out moving further away. No kids at home. And I love the smaller town feel of where we are now. Our former area is jam packed now with shopping and cars and people and that original 10-15 min trip has grown because of all the traffic and congestion. We may not have as much shopping where we live now but what we do have is more than adequate. One thing you can't ever make up for is square footage outside. Inside sometimes but honestly after our interior remodeling I don't have any plans to go that route again.
I tell you what, I love having a yard. The house we have been renting has a huge yard. However, the school zoned for us is terrible. We have paid for private school and recently were able to send our oldest son to an unzoned public school thanks to a program here called open enrollment. The catch is that we have to provide transportation, so my wife spends about 20 minutes in the car each way. This is great, but we have 2 other children and open enrollment is not guaranteed. We could end up with kids in different schools, and the logistics just won't work. To find a house with an equivalent yard in the school zones we want, our budget would need to be 2-3x what we can afford! yikes.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The longest that I have ever driven to work was around 20 miles one way, into a not-so-good area, and with far-from-stellar pay. Currently, I drive about 10 each direction, which is enough for me, especially with how frustrating people often are. My way of thinking is that if the pay is good enough, a longer drive would not be too bad, but it takes a chunk out of each paycheck if not (as I can attest to), so that is certainly something to consider.
Thanks for the reply. I have a very good job (albeit time demanding and stressful), and am very thankful. We moved here with a newborn baby and didn't really think about schools too much back then...and lived 2.6 miles from the office! What a dream for about 4 years. Then the stupid company moved to be "in the city," instead of the burbs, where it had been for 40 years... I think I can deal with the commute. Caffeine and Sirius radio. Just need to pick the right house. ;-)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought my first home a year and a half ago and my 15 minute commute soon became at least an hour (36 miles one way). In order to afford a home on my own (I'm single) I had to move outside of the Boston area. It's good and bad. Good because I own my own home and my company allows flex time and I work from home two days a week. But the bad/downside is the amount of money I spend a month on gas and the frustration of the commute, especially when I don't time it right and hit all the school bus stops!! The commute wears on you after a while.

I make a decent living so it's just something I've just had to accept. I'd love to find something closer in my area, but with the job market the way it is I'm scared to make a move. I enjoy what I do but can't stand the people I work with so I just grin and bear and it try to focus on the fact that I finally have my own home that allows me to do all this crazy Halloweens stuff!

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
I bought my first home a year and a half ago and my 15 minute commute soon became at least an hour (36 miles one way). In order to afford a home on my own (I'm single) I had to move outside of the Boston area. It's good and bad. Good because I own my own home and my company allows flex time and I work from home two days a week. But the bad/downside is the amount of money I spend a month on gas and the frustration of the commute, especially when I don't time it right and hit all the school bus stops!! The commute wears on you after a while.

I make a decent living so it's just something I've just had to accept. I'd love to find something closer in my area, but with the job market the way it is I'm scared to make a move. I enjoy what I do but can't stand the people I work with so I just grin and bear and it try to focus on the fact that I finally have my own home that allows me to do all this crazy Halloweens stuff!
Same here, I have a good job in upper level management for the military, but i commute about an hour one way and you would think a federal military instilation would be a calm place to work but it's like babysitting ever since the labor union came a couple of years back. now the inmates run the asylum and i want to go back to the private sector but there's no work so i'm stuck for now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Same here, I have a good job in upper level management for the military, but i commute about an hour one way and you would think a federal military instilation would be a calm place to work but it's like babysitting ever since the labor union came a couple of years back. now the inmates run the asylum and i want to go back to the private sector but there's no work so i'm stuck for now.
That's exactly my problem. I'm older than everyone in the office and it's like being in high school all over again. I'm in my 40's and don't want to deal with it anymore. My boss is an asshat, is never around, has no idea what I do, etc. Kids, and I will call them that because they act like children, have ZERO work ethic. They just want promotions handed to them and they are if you're part of the Kiss *** Club. Many of them make more money than me and I have way more work experience. Bad behavior is rewarded and it pains me to go into the office. In fact, I'm dreading it tomorrow.

My dream is to win the lottery and have enough to quit my job, live out my days comfortably and work on my artistic things every day. That would put a smile on my mug a mile wide!! :)

Hang in there!!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I was spoiled for over ten years, the company I worked for was located less than 5 miles from my house. No freeway, go home for lunch, get the kids from school etc. Really convenient. After they closed I did a contract gig in WA (loooong commute lol) for about 2 months, then landed a job about 25 miles from home. Nasty commute, mornings were good but getting home typically >1 hour; that lasted about 9 months. The new job is closer to home, but the commute is just as bad, and it's bad both ways. It was nice during the holidays, most people took the week off and the drive was a breeze.

To answer the original question - it would depend on the company/work/perks. I put up with my current commute because the job is exactly what I love doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts