Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
I have to deal with a HOA here, so not until two weeks prior to Halloween.

Haven't done much outside yet though. In 2009, we had just moved into the house a week or so before Halloween. Just did jack-o'-lanterns that year. Three years ago, I had done the most, with gravestones, wooden cut-outs and those small blue and green clip-on LED lights. Two years ago, my front lawn was covered with snow (and I had walking pneumonia too.) Stuck in a gravestone and a groundbreaker skeleton, and that was it. Last year, had to take down my inflatable tree with ghosts due to Hurricane Sandy's winds and rain, and afterward put out only minimal decorations on my front porch.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I have to deal with a HOA here, so not until two weeks prior to Halloween.

Haven't done much outside yet though. In 2009, we had just moved into the house a week or so before Halloween. Just did jack-o'-lanterns that year. Three years ago, I had done the most, with gravestones, wooden cut-outs and those small blue and green clip-on LED lights. Two years ago, my front lawn was covered with snow (and I had walking pneumonia too.) Stuck in a gravestone and a groundbreaker skeleton, and that was it. Last year, had to take down my inflatable tree with ghosts due to Hurricane Sandy's winds and rain, and afterward put out only minimal decorations on my front porch.
We are pondering moving, but I keep telling my husband... 'No HOAs'.

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
We are pondering moving, but I keep telling my husband... 'No HOAs'.
That wasn't our #1 priority in buying our house but it was at least in the top 5!

Screw HOAs - they are like big government. FRREEEDDOOMMMMMMMM - as Mel Gibson would say it
In fairness, I must admit that the HOA hasn't hassled me about any Halloween decorations, and so far has approved the various requests that we've submitted (e.g., for installing storm door, exterior lighting on brick wall outside garage, new garage door) without any problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In fairness, I must admit that the HOA hasn't hassled me about any Halloween decorations, and so far has approved the various requests that we've submitted (e.g., for installing storm door, exterior lighting on brick wall outside garage, new garage door) without any problems.
Yeah, but your out of high school... you shouldn't have to ask for permission to do things to your house...

Oh well. HOAs work for some people. At least they are cool with Halloween

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I do the outside of the house the first weekend of October, followed by a viewing of hocus pocus. Unfortunately its still pretty hot in Florida at the beginning of October so it doesn't feel real Halloweenish. Normally I would start the inside the next weekend but I'm going out of town for a pumpkin festival so indoors will have to wait until the third weekend or I might work on it weeknights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Our haunt is made for work and isn't located at my house so we actually whip it up about 2 weeks in advance. (We typically start the 2nd week of October.)

As for my house, I start decorating the inside around the last week of September and for outside I always make sure to put some lights up on October 1st. Unfortunately with the weather we get here it can be decent out, rainy, or worse.... snow.........lots of snow.... so i've actually started waiting until about a week before Halloween to put must of anything else outside so it doesn't get completely ruined/covered.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts