Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!
I just got some paper mache "clay" from Michaels, and it's awsome! Trouble is, it's also kinda pricey (like everything else at Michaels), so I was wondering if anybody knows how to make the stuff.

I'm thinking about using our shredder on a pile of newspaper, then running it all through a blender to pulverize it. maybe add some powered glue (if such a thing exists) and/or flour. Anybody got any ideas???

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hiya!
I just got some paper mache "clay" from Michaels, and it's awsome! Trouble is, it's also kinda pricey (like everything else at Michaels), so I was wondering if anybody knows how to make the stuff.

I'm thinking about using our shredder on a pile of newspaper, then running it all through a blender to pulverize it. maybe add some powered glue (if such a thing exists) and/or flour. Anybody got any ideas???
Thats pretty much what I did and it worked great. I used one of the hand held blinder things.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback, peeps. :)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I boiled shredded paper, drained and squeezed it, added elmers and salt (to keep mold down).

Way too much hassle. Now I buy Celluclay with Michael's 40% coupons... and I use salt water and add extra elmers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used Stolloween's recipe for my grave stones I just made. It worked out great!

6 cups flower
1 cup white glue
7 cups water (add slowly to get the mix about the consistency of pancake batter. Stolloween says to make it like thin batter, I may have made mine too thick actually)
about 1 cup of drywall compound (6 inch drywall spatula loaded up)
added enough cellulose insulation to thicken the mixture up nicely.

I got 20 lbs of cellulose at Menards (big box home improvement store) for something like $6.50. A gallon of white glue was the most expensive part but that's a lot of glue. Oh and 20 lbs of cellulose insulation is a LOT for this application also.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Celluclay is worth every penny to me! Just look online for 50% off coupons and it becomes really cheap. You can do the homemade method but be aware that it will dull the heck out of your blender blade.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to one and all for the help!

Celluclay is worth every penny to me! Just look online for 50% off coupons and it becomes really cheap. You can do the homemade method but be aware that it will dull the heck out of your blender blade.
yeah, my mother warned me about the dull blade problem. I think I may have to just bite the bullet and search online for those coupons.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought cellulose insluation and created my own "clay" with flour/water past. I like the consistency but what I don't like is the rough edges the clay makes when it's dry. Does anyone else experience that problem? I'm wondering if it's maybe the brand of insulation I purchased from either Home Depot or Lowes (bought so many things at both recently I can't keep track of what comes from where).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought cellulose insluation and created my own "clay" with flour/water past. I like the consistency but what I don't like is the rough edges the clay makes when it's dry. Does anyone else experience that problem? I'm wondering if it's maybe the brand of insulation I purchased from either Home Depot or Lowes (bought so many things at both recently I can't keep track of what comes from where).
I can't speak for home-made clay, but I do know that the store-bought stuff can be sanded/drilled/sawed when dry. heck, I used my rotary tool with a sanding bit on it to sand off the rough edges, and I can tell you it was damn near hard as stone.

Also, I did find that while working with it wet, it had the same properties as real clay...meaning that dipping your fingers/tools in water allows you to smooth out the surface easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts